Bristlenose breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kotty
Location 1: London, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping

Bristlenose breeding

Post by Kotty »

Ive read the articles re bristlenose breeding on the site and was convinced my bristlenose was caring for eggs. Hes full size and has taken residence in a slate cave. We didnt see him for about a week of feeds when normally hes quite aggressive for the food. I peeked in the cave and saw all fins wagging looking like he was keeping up airflow. He would pop out for a bit of food after a week then go quickly back in. Anyway left it few days no sign of babies. Finally got impatient and took the slate roof of the cave off and .... nothing there :(

My q is do they fan their fins normally when sitting in a cave and behave like that or is he trying to attract a female. I have 2 females in the tank,4in long not quite full size.

Any opinions?
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Kotty could you please add your location to your profile? Its something we request in order to help us, help you. We promise not to become stalkers, and you're welcome to just post the country if the idea is that distasteful for you.

Mlales will definitely fan their fins to attract females.

Barbie
Kotty

Post by Kotty »

Done,

Im london uk
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

He is trying to attract one of the females.

If you buy Armbruster's theory for the evolution of the rostral tenticules in this Genus, then this would be a plausible explaination for the behavior. I do.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I have written about about this before and believe that it is another form of fry mimicry. Ancistrinae males fan hanging part way out of their cave to trick females into thinking that they are already successful fathers caring for fry. As Paul pointed out, based on Jon's theory, it would follow that there could more than one form of fry mimicry in the family.
I recently placed 4 large L 91 in their own 20 long and placed several caves in their tank. Three of the males immediately took up caves and began fanning away. The fourth hides in the driftwood. Based on this behavior I believe I have three males and one female.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Shane!

That is for sure a very interesting point.
I surely will look closer at some of my Loricariidae with which I have trouble sexing them.
So we can also assume that a fish in a cave that does not fan is likely to be a female or an immature...
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Kotty

Post by Kotty »

Thanks for the help everyone, Ill just keep waiting patiently.
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

Little ones too

Post by xander »

Is the fry mimicry the norm with very small bristlenose as well. I have a bunch that are barely an inch and I have seen them sit in their hiding spots with their tail barely showing and twich it. These guys are no more than six months old.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Xander,
"Tail switching" is a sign of aggression. It means get away from me and my spot. You see it a lot in the longer bodied loricariids like Sturisoma and Loricariichthys, but most other genera do it as well. "Fanning" is when a male fish sits hanging part way out of his cave and fans away like mad with his pectoral and pelvic fins as if he were fanning an egg clutch.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”