pimelodus pictus bothering other fish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
rcl
Location 1: Sterling, VA [USA]

pimelodus pictus bothering other fish?

Post by rcl »

I have read somewhere that pim pictus can bother other fish (i think they said clown loaches or angelfish, both of which I am planning to keep) with their long whiskers. I got the impression that they would rub/poke these fish accidentally during 'dark time' with their whiskers and spook/annoy them.

Is this true? I really want to keep this species, but I don't want them being trouble makers. Also if it is, will this be alleviated by a large tank? I am looking to do a 120 gallon setup and it sounds like if this is an issue, then it will at least give the other fish places to be away from the pictus; or at least space them out so the whiskers won't hit the other fish every 10 seconds!

Also is there anything else a first time owner should know about the pictus? I've read anything about them I can but any additional information would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Robert
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Since catfish use their barbels to navigate sometimes, its inevitable that they will come into contact with tankmates sometimes. Pictus cats are not any more guilty of annoying tankmates with their barbels than any other species of catfish with lon g barbels.
That said, I've never really seen a fish unnerved much by catfish barbels coming in contact with them. Pictus cats are social, so it's best to get at least three or four.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

When I moved my four pim pictus cats to my 180 gallon tank it took them less than five minutes to dislodge a 6" Leiarius longibarbis from its favourite hiding place. It appeared that the L. longibarbis couldn't tolerate the constant activity and the mass of barbels.

For a couple of months I was minded to move the little pims so that the big pim (L. longibarbis) could have his cave back. But things have settled down now and the big pim is back in his cave. The little pims are now confident enough to go all over the tank (although there is one corner that they have yet to explore) and they aren't getting any trouble with the other tank mates (African cichlids).

I'm planning to get another big tank this year so that I can split the south american cats from the african cichlids. They seem to be co-habiting very well for the time being, though

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”