Fair price?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
lisa23
Location 1: east yorkshire,UK

Fair price?

Post by lisa23 »

I've been offered 6 L260 Queen arabesques for £180.
Is this a reasonable price :?:

Don't want to be ripped off :lol:

Lisa
kanaFISH
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland, Scandinavia

Same question

Post by kanaFISH »

If someone knows also how much a Zebra normally costs, I would be happy.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Fish Prices might be another subject we should add to the FAQ. The Planetcatfish Forum is very international in its membership, so the vast majority of forum members will not be able to help you nor will this topic be of any help to them. With this incredible diversity, one of the things that makes the site so great in my opinion, you can also see why it is almost impossible to answer these types of questions. I can not say how much H. zebra is worth in Finland or L 260 in the U.K. and it is very hard to say what is really a fair price for any fish. Perhaps these types of questions would be best answered by sending a private message to other forum members from your area (see the first "sticky" under Speak Easy) and asking for their opinions.
-Shane
Last edited by Shane on 02 Dec 2003, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
lisa23

zebra

Post by lisa23 »

zebras are priced £55-65.

Quite expensive,too dear for my budget.

Lisa
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

This is what I meant. How does it help Kanafish in Helsinki, Finland to know that H. zebra costs 55-65 pounds in East Yorkshire, UK?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
kanaFISH

Post by kanaFISH »

Thanks, Lisa! I just bought an L200 here in Finland for 100 pounds. How much do they cost there where you at?
kanaFISH

Post by kanaFISH »

Shane, it helps a little in valuing different kinda fish. I think most of the Finnish retailers order fish from the same stockers which provide fish to the UK as well.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

But rarely provide fish here in the US, or even more rarely to Shane in South America. See his point? I would think it would definitely be a good idea to ask fair price for wherever you are located geographically, not in general. For one, I don't know the exchange rate for pounds to dollars...

Barbie
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Shane, it helps a little in valuing different kinda fish. I think most of the Finnish retailers order fish from the same stockers which provide fish to the UK as well.
If only it were that simple with fish it's more of a supply and demand type situation that rules price. as well as a few other situations around the world. L200 in the UK are £40 and you paid £100 did that help.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

barbie... http://www.xe.com is a lifesaver... I deal with canadians, americans and all sorts of people every day, I wish my company would do a similar thing.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

L 200 here wholesale for about 1 pound and retail for about 3 pounds for a large, over 5 inches or 13 cm, specimen. No one but you can say if you paid a fair price, but I had never before heard of a 100 percent mark up on a loricariid! I need to open a fish shop in Finland.
-Shane
Great link Scott!
Last edited by Shane on 02 Dec 2003, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I've been offered 6 L260 Queen arabesques for £180.
Is this a reasonable price
to me this is a little expensive but it depends on size, if it's normal shop size 2" give or take then you are being ripped off, however if they are 3"ish it's a fair price. i'm in the same country and the prices vary so much, if i drive 100miles i can pick up L260 for £18 each at pier aquatics in wigan. by far the best place for catfish IMO.

Dont want to start a new post but any other offers for best UK catfish shop?
lisa23

Post by lisa23 »

Thanks Magnum4,
I suppose i'll pay it because i so desperately want them.
It's better than wasting it on crimbo prezzies for the other
half anyway. :D

Money well spent i'd say, i might trade him in for them. :twisted:
Then again L260's are'nt gonna spoil me silly,cook for me,do the housework
or sexually fulfill me :lol:
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

heh, that's always been my answer. "If you're willing to pay it and happy to get the fish, then it's worth it." if someone had caught me 4 years ago and said "I've got L134 at $100 each" I'd have bought as many as i could afford... knowing full well that they don't cost half that... ($23 is what I spent when I finally did get some) but I spent 2 years searching the US for some... :) to me a fishes worth isn't tied to their actual cost, but to the enjoyment they'd bring me. of course it'd burn me slightly to know someone was marking up the price to 3 times what they paid without any losses, but... I'd do it anyway if I really wanted the fish and there was no way around it.
kanaFISH

Post by kanaFISH »

magnum4 wrote:
If only it were that simple with fish it's more of a supply and demand type situation that rules price. as well as a few other situations around the world. L200 in the UK are £40 and you paid £100 did that help.
Yes, in fact it helped. Now I know that zebras are probably going to be more expencive here too. And since I travel a lot in the UK, I should maybe buy them zebras there. Although the transportation would then be a problem.

So, thank you for the information.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”