Bristlenose attacking L200. Normal?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kanaFISH
Location 1: Helsinki, Finland, Scandinavia

Bristlenose attacking L200. Normal?

Post by kanaFISH »

I have a 250 liters tank and have had one 5cm bristlenose there for some 3 years now. Yesterday I introduced a 15cm L200. I had no idea that the smaller bristlenose would get aggressive and start chasing the bigger newcomer. The bristlenose for instance got stuck on the L200's mouth area from it's bristles. I had to take the smaller out of the tank. Is this behaviour common? What should I do?

Then another question: do Zebra pl*cos get well along with L200? I would like to get one or two zebras.

Thanks for help!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Its been alone for three years so i can see why however it is still a little unexpected, most of the time it's the other way round.

zebras and L200 will get along fine in 250l just make a load of hiding spaces.

personaly i would just get more L200 and see if you can get them to breed.
kanaFISH

Post by kanaFISH »

Thank you! Do you think there is any chance the bristlenose would ever get along with the L200 or do I have to get rid of the other one? Do you think that if I kept the bristle away for a week or so n put it back into the tank it would behave better?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your best bet would be to rearrange the tank decor. The fishes will think they are in a new environment and will rearrange their dominance hierarchy.
kanaFISH

Post by kanaFISH »

Okay, that is a good idea! I will do that first thing in the morning! I like my lil bristle a lot too n would like to keep it in my tank.

thanks a lot!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”