Monte dourado?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fisutar10
Location 2: Finland

Monte dourado?

Post by Fisutar10 »

What species of pleco is this? It is pure pleco or hybrid? Is it monte dourado L411 or hybrid? I have two, male and female and they got babies. I do not hope hybrids and I was suprised, that they got babies.
hybrisIMG_2457.jpg
pez gato
Location 2: Hampshire, UK

Re: Monte dourado?

Post by pez gato »

I have a female and a male which look identical to your pleco. I bought them as "queen arabesque (L260) but I suspect they are Monte Dourado. Not an expert though...
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Thank You Your point of view. I hope also that they are monte dourados, not hybrid. Sometimes hybrids are fertile, but often they are sterile or unhealthy. Babies grow very fast and are healthy.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Hybrids of unrelated species are quite often very fest growers. Some species have a very limited gene pool, and in such cases, a hybrid would be a surprise - a fish with an unrestricted set of genes, allowing it to grow much faster, much larger and much more rapidly
cats have whiskers
pez gato
Location 2: Hampshire, UK

Post by pez gato »

I don't know if there are hybrids which look like these fish but I am almost sure they are pure species as they turn up occasionally in my local fish shops. To be honest I would be interested to know whether they are queen arabesque or monte dourado but I would probably need to see both species together to spot the differences.
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Thanks Bas and Pez :). Bas, it would be truth. Hybrid have heterosis and they use it with domestic animal breeding. The animals (and plants) grow faster, because they have many genes heterozygote (not homotsygote).

It is nice to hear that this plecos You have and in shop. It is big risk that they are pure plecos.

My plecos seem very dark in dark light. In this photo they seem lighter than they are. Dark/black colours are more stronger than L066 which I have many. This pleco is also stronger front part of body than L066 (quite similar than L333). Tail is different than L066. Sripes are narrower than L066.
HaakonH
My articles: 2
My images: 373
My catfish: 1
Spotted: 228
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Location 2: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Fish fish fish!

Post by HaakonH »

Looks like to me. How big are they? L411 tends to grow somewhat larger than . Crossbreeds between these two types do occur, but there are still quite a few pure L411 around. It was well spread in the hobby for a while, but new wild stock won't be coming in anytime soon so it's well worth taking good care of the pure strains we have.

Haakon
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Thank You for Your opinion :). I think also that it is L411 more likely than L260. Plecos are about 12 cm long. I think that they are little shorter than L66.
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Here is little more photos. They are not so high quality, but the color of fish is more natural. Here is one fry also.
http://aqua-web.fi/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p7229921

Return to “What is my catfish?”