port hoplos very ill after Kusuri treatment 2 already died.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
plecoloachfish
Location 1: uk
Location 2: north Lincs

port hoplos very ill after Kusuri treatment 2 already died.

Post by plecoloachfish »

Since treating 2 tanks (300L and 500L both containing 2 hoplos each to treat some loaches with skinny disease (and we all know how hard loaches are to catch) , all at reccomended doses, both sets of hoplos that were bought from different lfs a year or so back, both sets were very healthy and eating well, water quality is correct and tested 0 for nitrate nitrite and ammonia in both tanks.
2 have died of exhaustion from doing nothing but swim in circles non stop for 3 days, at first it was thought to be spawning behavoir but after the 3rd day they were swimming then dropping like lead balloons to the bottom of the tank.
Pulled the two circlers out after the episode with the swimming in circles and upside down and dropping to the tank bed and put them in a hospital tank firstly with swim bladed treatment (bear in mind the wormer had officially bio degraded by its 4 day cycle and a 25% water change was done to each tank), , one of which after 4 days died, possibly drowned to death through not being able to swim straight though I did add airstones at the bottom for refuge.
I had another 2 in my 500L that I checked on after the first tanks episides, one was dead, removed the remaining and put in hospital tank, which I believe has saved 2 to some extent, they are currently in a double dose of esha they are that beat up from swimming at the glass nose first.
Any advice or experience of this is welcomed and urge anyone with hoplos to take them out if worming the tank till my packet comes back from analysis.
Going to keep on with the esha, and hope they fight through it, ones still ocasionally swimming upside down and my other sometimes rushes about the tank as though he is having a fit.
Quite upset at loosing 2 of 4 and the circumstances that have lead to it, id understand if it was one tank but for both to do the same with the same wormer added just makes me sceptical of the product warnings.

Thanks for reading

Stuart
Fisutar10
Location 2: Finland

Re: port hoplos very ill after Kusuri treatment 2 already died.

Post by Fisutar10 »

Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Have You fresh water in tank where is hoplos now? I put Sera's Baktopur direkt and Baktopur together.
https://www.sera.de/en/products/in_cate ... irect.html

Baktopur direkt helps also inside which other treatment do not exept Furanol. I used also Sera's Ectopur. I changed water every day in hospital tank. I think that medicine exrede to water and water is good.

When I put hoplos to home tank I have changed many times water. I put carbon to my filter, but in three days hoplos behaved strange. I changed then every day water. It helped.

When You put hoplos back to tank there is little medicine and therefore is good change water very often after treatment. I also cleaned bottom and sand.
plecoloachfish

Post by plecoloachfish »

I keep changing the water yes but still not much improvements, that medication is only available from Germany for uk delivery , i feel they are getting to far gone to get back to healthy, I still hold hope but not much.
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

My hoplos was in very very bad conditions. Maybe your hoplos get better - do not keep up. It was very hard to see. :((

If You have bacterial treatment which effect also inside may be it helps. But they have also problems with nervous system and in heart I think and it need time recover.

But I think that they have also infection inside and in gills. So I gave them also Ectopur which helps breathing (it have salt and component which release oxygen). I also put very very big aeration.

One hoplo got bad infection and skin was white. Baktopur direkt not only helped. I put baktopur also and it helped very soon.

Big hoplo sleep very much and sleep one side. I took many weeks that she swim good. She was very tired.

One hoplo swim and code like epilepsian fit and then swim normal.

It took long time to recover. I hope that they survive. I think that males was weaker to flubendazole. My hoplos are now in good conditions.
plecoloachfish

Post by plecoloachfish »

Both mine are males, sometimes they sit as normal on the tank bottom but shallow breathing, and other times on side or upside down, somtimes i think its just luck how they rest, swimming is very hard for them, as is getting air, ive got an airstones in the tank for refuge but they don't really show much sign of improvement, how long did it take yours to recover?
Its been about 2 weeks since mine have been ill
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

Last time it takes about 2 weeks, when they are little better. And it takes about 1 month, when I put them to main tank back.

I lose big male before. Big female was last time in the worst condition. I sleep one side almost all time and it swam one's one side. And it was all time at bottom because it can not swim.

When it was wake up it breathed wery fast.

When people worms dog and cats, some of them get inestines infection. I think may be also hoplos get inestial infection also. Maybe not...

Small hoplos ate all time in hospital tank. One male junior get bad infection to gills, fins and skin. And when it swam fast, it got like epilepsian attact. And I swam again...

Two female junior was quite good. Other I think have little gill infection but maybe it breathed very fast because it was sensitive to flubenol.
plecoloachfish

Post by plecoloachfish »

Not sure but ive done the kind thing and put them to sleep, they are emaciated, not taking in food and struggling to get air, water changes and salt was having no effect and couldn't guarantee they would recover, belly's were majorly sunk in so at least they are free of pain and confusion now.
Fisutar10

Post by Fisutar10 »

It is very sad thing. :((

I think that Kusuri is good mild wormer other species exept hoplos. I use it future. And I have not been any problems with very small plecos, bristlenoses, loaches, synodontis....Only with hoplos.

My friend have very meni species synodontis and catfish. Pleco babies and so on...any problem with Camacell.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”