Public Aquaria

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
arcsb
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Scotland

Public Aquaria

Post by arcsb »

Hello all.
I have been considering closing down my tanks but only if I can find the best possible home for my Catfishes.
I have been in touch with a public aquarium and they have said they would very much like to take them.
I would very much like to know if donating them would be the right decision so any of your opinions about this will help me make a decision and are greatly appreciated,thanks.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Public Aquaria

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

As a highly biased person, who is trying to open a small start-up Public Aquarium, Education, and Fish Rescue Center in Florida, USA, I'd say I am not aware of a better choice... of course, given that that particular Aquarium is a reputable and respected place you can trust.

I honestly cannot think of a better way to go. Hypothetically speaking, one can fathom releasing the fishes back in their wild habitat would be the absolute best thing, but they can carry bacteria or parasites (suppressed; picked up in the trade, from tank mates, etc.) that can harm or even wipe out feral fish populations. So, that's far not the best way.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Many public aquarium facilities do not take fish from the general public for a number of reasons...consider yourself lucky (also the fish) that this particular facility will take them.

I think it is great that you are considering donating them and the fish should have a good home there, bonus you will be able to visit them.

birger
Birger
arcsb
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Scotland

Post by arcsb »

Thank you both,I was hoping to hear positive opinions this will help me reach a decision.
I hope all gose well with your plans Viktor and it will be nice for myself,my young son and great nephew to see the Catfishes on display Birger.
xingumike
My images: 7
My cats species list: 20 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Dubai - UAE
Location 2: Dubai - UAE

Post by xingumike »

Go for it I say.

As and when I leave Dubai, I will quite happily give all my fish to hobbyists save for my L191.

That I would like to donate to the underwater zoo at Dubai Mall so I could see it when I return.

Return to “Tank Talk”