Is my Spotted Rapheal sick?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
AngelaEnkeli
Location 2: Canada

Is my Spotted Rapheal sick?

Post by AngelaEnkeli »

I've had this guy for 2 months since a friend didn't want him anymore. I thought he was a fantastically interesting fish and was very excited about adding him to my large aquatic family. I have 5 separate tanks of various sizes. I put him in a 10g tank and added a little reptile cave which he immediately found and escaped to most of the time. For all this time I never saw him out of it although have been told by family that he has been seen scooting around at night. I work nights so I miss this usually.
I have since moved him to a 20g tank and kept all of his gravel, deco and such for bacterial purposes. Also I have put a foam insert and bio insert from the 10g filter in the 20g filter for the same reason. I do 30% water changes once a week. Parameters are within normal levels.
For the past 3 days he's has been out of his cave and almost constantly swimming pointed upward to the water surface. If I had to guess I would say he's gasping but he doesn't open wide just bobs up and down beside the filter and opens a bit.
I don't see any sores or anything on his body but his dorsal fin is tightly clamped and this bobbing behavior is very unusual for him. He hasn't actually stayed in his cave for these 3 days.
I am unsure of what else to tell you I am going to have another real good look at him to make sure I didn't miss any sores or spots. I will try to answer any questions any members have the best I can. For now here are two pictures I took just yesterday.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Angela
AngelaEnkeli
Location 2: Canada

Re: Is my Spotted Rapheal sick?

Post by AngelaEnkeli »

Tested my water before a 30% (which turned into more like a 50%) water change:

ph-8.0
ammonia- less than .25ppm but higher than 0ppm
nitrite- .50ppm
nitrate- .40ppm

after water change:

ph 8.0
ammonia- 0ppm
nitrite- 0ppm
nitrate- .10-.20ppm

Today after water change:

He seems to have perked up since the change but still not himself. I mean, it's the middle of the day and he's swimming around for heaven's sake. Maybe he forgot he's nocturnal.
Still bobbing at the top and I haven't seen him eat anything but the food is disappearing so I will assume he is.
That's all I have for an update for now.
Again, thanks for any advice anyone may have.
Angela.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Re: Is my Spotted Rapheal sick?

Post by Yann »

Hi!!

He has odds colour but don't know if it is because he is sick or because of the water or because of the pictures.

The water seems to be a bit blury, how often do you change water?

nitrite in water is not a good sign, how long have you this tank running...what filtration?

nitrite could also be there because of too much amount of food and detritus caught in the gravel. it has a rather big size and can easily trap uneaten food and feces...leading to nitrite and nitrate build up...

It is important to vaccum regulary such gravel while doing the weekly water change.

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”