Sand and loricarids

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
azn_phil
Location 1: Ontario, Canada

Sand and loricarids

Post by azn_phil »

SHould i be scared that they will eat sand? its silica sand and i have the plecs in there for a day now, but if in nature most live in mud i think its ok
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Works great and makes a huge difference with the sand sifters like Loricaria sp. I had two large Loricaria sp. "Colombia" in a heavily planted tank with gravel for six months and they did fine. Two nights ago I was consolidating and moved them to a tank with a sand substrate. They are now 100 percent more active (and more fun) as they cruise about sifting the sand through their gills. Reminds me of watching Geophagus.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
azn_phil
Location 1: Ontario, Canada

Post by azn_phil »

i have an L103 (large clown plec lookalike), an 8" rhino plec, and 4 smaller plecs (gold ancis., red rhineloricaria, orange spotted plec, and a clown plec) i kno its a little overcrowded in a 50 gal.,

so what you are trying to say is that all of those above plecs not only do not mind the sand substrate, but it is better for them?
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I have sand in all my tanks and all my Catfish love it Plec's,Banjo's.Corys,Whips...etc. But i've notecied this on one of my pictures!! Sand stuck to the L163 gills! Any harm in this?

Graeme.
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

The only "problem" I've had with sand in my tank is that my sailfin often has a whole heck of a lot of sand in his waste. By the end of the week he's re-plumbed the tank with sandy tubes.

It's really no big deal. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. And like the others said, he'll dig a little in it, too.
My wife likes cats.
I like catfish.
der Ingo
Location 1: Southern California
Interests: Plecos!

Post by der Ingo »

I love sand too. I have a tank with black sand and not only does it look spectacular, but the fish like it too.

By the way,great looking gold nugget Graeme! It looks gorgeous.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”