First batch of repashy super foods!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

Hey everybody! Today i was at my lfs and to my disbelief they had repashy foods! I was rather exited so i bought a small pack of meat pie to try out! I should advise you to make it in a well ventilated area! It smelled like i was microwaving dead cats! :YMSICK: So i`ll post an update as soon as i put it in the tank! I can`t wait to see how they like it!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
bigamefish
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Re: First batch of repashy super foods!

Post by bigamefish »

Well either i haven`t feed them for weeks (which i have) or they love it! I was putting it where i wanted it in the tank with my hand and actually got bitten by fish i rarely see at day and flee from any sign of me! It also makes feeding my cichlid fry quite easy! It took them a bit to figure out what exactly it was but as soon as they did it looked like a school of piranhas attacking some meat! So it seems to be an excellent food and one that i would recomend! Go try it out :-BD
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

I find that if I make it by boiling the water in a tea kettle and then adding it to the powder, the smell isn't too bad.
tomr
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:67)
Location 1: hamburg,NY
Location 2: hamburg, ny
Interests: L333, L66,All synos.L10a, LDA 31

Post by tomr »

All my fish love it. And yes it does stink when you make it. Open a window.
All Synos., L10a.plecos, all cats
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

OK, the microwaving cats analogy made me actually LOL, so thank you! I also boil water and add it to the dry mix, without microwaving it and find the smell to be greatly reduced. I am using the different formulas on all sorts of fish and I've been very happy with it. Been considering trying to whip some air into it and see if I can get it to float for Cyprichromis even ;). Maybe folding it into whipped egg whites?

Barbie
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Haha no problem for the laugh! Most of the time i tend to be a bit of a "funny man" :d Im pretty good at making people smile! And i would bet folding it into egg whites would work! I assume they wouldn`t harm the fish.

Ted Hughes
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

I don't have any fish that won't chase it to the bottom, but did see a video about presentation ideas on tedsfishroom.com One of those that may work for the Cyprichromis is placing a piece of yarn through the center of the mold to keep it higher in the water column. I haven't tried it, but may be worth a shot provided the colony can eat it before it dissolves.

Some of my slower feeding pleco tanks won't eat anything while the lights are on, and I often find small piles of untouched "dust" till I close the fishroom door to block light. Then it disappears rather quickly. The concern with using the yarn would be it dissolving too quickly and scattering through the tank.

I have to agree the stuff is amazing, but there seems to be a learning curve to using it properly for each species.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
matti2uude
My cats species list: 40 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:9)
Location 2: Toronto, Canada

Post by matti2uude »

I've tried all 4 types and my fish eat it eventually but they don't really seem to care for it.
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

I feed it to all my fish, I also sell it and have free shipping to people in Canada.

Its all some of my fish will eat now.

As stated above it really does not smell if you boil the water first then quickly mix it and pour to set.
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

I've been feeding this to my various fish, cories, plecos, whiptails and farlowella, and while they all eat it, they also go nuts on NLS wafers and simple cocktail shrimp. The stuff is good, don't get me wrong, but after hearing all the "this is a SUPERFOOD!" stuff, my expectations were higher than they should have been, I guess.

But if you never try it, you'll never know.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “Speak Easy”