I don't think these are brochis

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
This Old Spouse
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 1: northern Minnesota USA
Location 2: northern Minnesota USA

I don't think these are brochis

Post by This Old Spouse »

like my LFS told me, but what are they? They're the same shape and size as my c. delphax and c. ambiacus. I now have 6!

55g: Tetra: 4 serpae; 1 vonRio; 9 bloodfin; 11 longfin black skirt; 1 silver tip; Corydoras: 4 delphax; 1 ambiacus; 8 aeneus (2 albino, 6 bronze); 1 flying fox | 20g: Corydoras: 2 paleatus; 2 schlermomystax barbatus; red cherry shrimp; 1 flying fox | 29g: 13 tiger barbs; 5 red eye tetra; 1 flying fox
steveh28
My cats species list: 31 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 10 (i:2, p:347)
Location 2: Massillon, OH

Re: I don't think these are brochis

Post by steveh28 »

They are Scleromystax barbatus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
This Old Spouse

YES!! Thank you!
55g: Tetra: 4 serpae; 1 vonRio; 9 bloodfin; 11 longfin black skirt; 1 silver tip; Corydoras: 4 delphax; 1 ambiacus; 8 aeneus (2 albino, 6 bronze); 1 flying fox | 20g: Corydoras: 2 paleatus; 2 schlermomystax barbatus; red cherry shrimp; 1 flying fox | 29g: 13 tiger barbs; 5 red eye tetra; 1 flying fox
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I thought they looked familar when looking at these in the other forum, having seen them locally at £20 a fish for <4cm SL babies! :-O

Nice surprise by the sounds of things, only potential downside is they will need cooler and faster current conditions than Brochis.

What tankmates have you got to go with them, or will they be a species only tank?
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
This Old Spouse

At the moment they're housed with c. trilineatus, c. leukomelus, and peppers.

After doing more research, it's starting to look like they're sclermystax kronei. Can anyone confirm?
CoryWally
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 22 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:75)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Boston Spa, West Yorks, U.K.

Post by CoryWally »

Definitely a Scleromystax, probably barbatus. I would suggest the only way to know they are kronei is if you know the origin of the fish, either which part of Brazil or who was the breeder. Adults of the two species are very similar and juvenilles are impossible to tell apart.

I see from your fish list you have macropterus. A very rarely available Scleromystax. Are there breeders in the U.S or are these wild caught in orgin? I think we all know they are banned from export but they do crop up from time to time.

Cheers,
Mark.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

you are aware that species like trilineatus and especially leucomelas can handle and appreciate warmer water, but this barbatus should be kept at room temperature in a non heated tank?

they can handle warmth, but to keep em in shape they should have a cool or cold period of several months a year
Valar Morghulis

Return to “What is my catfish?”