Help my Julii are sick :(

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kyasha161
Location 2: ottawa

Post by Kyasha161 »

Okay, So I bought my Julii cory about a month an a week ago. I bought them in groups of four - a week apart. So, I only have the eight cory in my 13 gallon tank. In the last week two weeks I have lost four of them. I'm not sure what they have and I don't want the last four to die ):

So, it seems the fish started to get red streaks along the black line on their side. Their gills are also pink to red in colour. They also are really shiny around the gills when I shine a light on them. Like shiny gold! Another thing i noticed is around the gill and stomach area the fish look like they have dents in them. I don't know how else to describe it? Maybe kind of lumpy, but inward? They don't scratch or flash against anything but sometimes they swim in an irritated erratic fashion sometimes.

The weird thing is they still seem healthy - they eat and swim around with each other.

The ones that died became super pale with pink bellies before they died.

My water conditions have been steady at:

Ph: 7-7.2
Amonnia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nirate: 5-10

Unfortunately I can't keep my tank cool and it sits between 80-84F most of the time. I bought a fan for the tank but, it hasn't come in the mail yet.
I change 30% of the water and vaccum the gravel once a week.

----
I started to worry so I gave them a bit of melafix about a week ago, thinking it was a bacterial infection. It didn't help, so I stopped.

I'm not sure what other meds I could use since I don't even know what's wrong with them.
I took some pictures but, they aren't that great in showing what I'm seeing.

Please help!

bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Re: Help my Julii are sick :(

Post by bigamefish »

I'm no Cory expert but if you move this to the correct category I figure you would get some help pretty fast! Here is the link to the correct forum http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It's hard to say for sure, but one thing, which you also mention, is the temperature being quite high - [1] isn't a "warm water" cory.

The pink belly and pale colouration is typical for internal bacterial infection, but this is usually a "side-effect of something else wrong", if that makes sense.

[1] What is sold as Corydoras julii is nearly always the Peruvian C. trilineatus.

--
Mats
Coriequest
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:85)
Location 2: San Francisco
Interests: Animals, Corey's, CRS, planted tanks, horses, reading, psychology, human behavior

Post by Coriequest »

There are descriptions of illnesses online, one is called velvet that I think looks golden, but fish can be hard to diagnose. Contact fishypharmacy.com and talk to them. Treat fast, when my fish were ill, some hastatus, they died off one after the other. Don't delay!
Coursair
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: California USA

Post by Coursair »

Can you turn off lights midday ? Or add air stones to move water around ?
Or move tank to floor ?

Add fan to room ??
Coriequest
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:85)
Location 2: San Francisco
Interests: Animals, Corey's, CRS, planted tanks, horses, reading, psychology, human behavior

Post by Coriequest »

How are they? Air stones are always good!
emacartoon
My cats species list: 16 (i:15, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Mesa, AZ
Location 2: United States
Interests: aquaponics, fish, art, books, coffe

Post by emacartoon »

Kyasha, Was there ever an update to this? My entire 100 gallon tank is/has gone through something similar and I'm looking around for any information.

Thanks!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”