Tankmates for L002

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
plecorocks
My cats species list: 8 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 2: Madison, WI USA

Tankmates for L002

Post by plecorocks »

Hi all,

I am getting in some L002 from Brazil, Rio Tocantins next week. These individuals (8) are supposed to be 6-7cm in length. Would you be able to sex them at this size? I plan on starting these in a tank of approximately 75L, eventually moving them into a 280L tank when they (and the tank) are ready. I have been stockpiling and soaking a lot of dead wood (mostly Quercus rubra, red oak).

I have read numerous threads on recommendations regarding the filtration, diet, substrate, current, temperature, ph, etc. on this wonderful website, but I was wondering what other loricariidae would be suitable tankmates? My "ideal" would have compatible requirements, not grow above 15cm, be hardy, and fairly accessible to hobby. I am interested in an individual of one or two other species to add with the panaque, with the potential to use them in future breeding colonies.

Is a possibility?

Thank you for your time,
Jesse
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Re: Tankmates for L002

Post by Firestorming »

Hi Jesse, I have and breeding together in the same tank.

In fact most of my tanks house a Panaque, Peckoltia and Hypancistrus combination of some type. It allows me to maximise the species I keep and breed and not run the risk of hybrids.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
plecorocks
My cats species list: 8 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Location 2: Madison, WI USA

Post by plecorocks »

I have considered the Leopard Frog's. They are available in the area, so that is a plus. I admit I know little about them, what is your feeding regimen for these mixed tanks? I have, maybe prematurely, crossed the hypans off my list as their diets are so different than the panaque. Is this a flawed idea?

Thank you
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

I feed a pretty mixed diet of flake, pellets, algae wafers and fresh veges.

I also have plenty of wood for the panaques and most of the others graze off the wood also.

I have never been over cautious of feeding protein to any of my fish as I figure they can find it in the wild, I just ensure that it is a like protein so I dont feed beef heart mix etc. It is generally shrimp/fish meal based pellets.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Just an tying, those L168s are the same as the L52 I pm'd you about. Are you purchasing the entire lot of L002? If not, I could help you possibly sex them to the best of my a ility. Now I have not done it, but lots of people keep hypans, pecks, a.d panaque together. I want to find some L204 for my tank I am working ons third species.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
krazyGeoff
I've donated: $110.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 12
My cats species list: 27 (i:1, k:1)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:410)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Woodville
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Fish and Cats

Post by krazyGeoff »

I have kept L204 with my breeding L002. They have the same dietary needs, and there was no aggression on behalf of the L204.

Cheers
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I wouldn't keep sexually mature L002 and L204 together, as they are of the same genus, and thus could end up cross breed.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”