What is offensive about c******ds?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Misty
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey, England
Interests: Horse riding and fish

What is offensive about c******ds?

Post by Misty »

Why does everyone write this type of fish starred, as if its got a swear word in the middle? Poor fishies.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

It's meant to be a tongue-in-cheek thing. Probably to get back at some cichlid-keepers who consider catfish "scavengers".

(This is going up in a new FAQ forum soon, so I hope that it's the last time this question is asked).
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I have 25 tanks and I love to point out that my "claim to fame" is there is not one cichlid in my collection!!
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Just concentate REALLY hard while your typing and the stars will not appear CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID CICHLID

:wink:
Chocky316
Location 1: Bellflower, California
Interests: FISH/SG-1/WWE/VIDEO GAMES/MOVIES

Post by Chocky316 »

coooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllll 8)
Does My Hair Look OK??

Go COWBOYS!!!

"PIMPIN' AIN'T EASY!!"
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

hehe HH, ever the optimist :lol:

Barbie
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Well, although I love both (with catfish winning hands down of course) I have to admit, it's a little offensive sometimes....
seen on the cichlid-forums a couple of million times:

"I have this 10 G tank filled with the worst Malawian Scum available to man.
I need a catfish that eats the turds, but a Pleco poops too much itself. Is a Syno eupterus suitable?"

I mean, REALLY!
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
MC
Location 1: Perth, Western Australia

Post by MC »

"Glass buckets" are the words you usually use Sid. :lol: :twisted:

:P
"Aprés moi, le deluge"
"Per purum tonantes"
"Esse potius quam videri"
"Tentate et perficite"
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Yup, that's right.

especially for -true!- 2 to 5G tanks......

I keep my pet roaches in a tank like that, not fish.....
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Pet roaches... now there's a visual I could have done without :P

Barbie
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

You don't like 'em?
no common roaches, mind! but 3" critters from Madagascar that breed like crazy!

I have other roaches too, Mexican Deadhead Roaches; HUNDREDS of them.
And Giant African millipedes, spiny Stick-insects from Asia, a Giant Snail, 3 fat Axolotls, 3 Red Clawed Yabby's (Australian freshwater lobsters), and Sunbeetles from Ghana.

They're all at school.

Now I need a big hairy Tarantula or Emperorscorpion (knowing myself, probably both) to curb the Roach-herd.

And I'd really like a Giant Toad or -even better- the Equadorian Giant Roach! It's 6"......

You're not into these, Barbie?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I don't which I'm more concerned by. Sids roaches or the fact that the post above with the roach pic was his 666th post.

:evil: Yikes! :evil:

Are these any use as fish food?

Jools
MC
Location 1: Perth, Western Australia

Post by MC »

Ok now that is very very very evil! :shock: :twisted:

Jools don't be too worried, its when he hits 999 you should look out. As 666 is the wrong number for the Debil Image

Sid, you can get something for that little roach problem you have,in fact there is a complete range of things you can get

:razz:

Just kidding Sid, you keep whatever you want in your glass buckets, no matter how gross it is. Do you have a tank full of slugs too? :lol:

Now what was this thread about again? Oh thats right... CICHLID. :shock:

Well i have to admit that some CICHLIDS do look like roaches (it maybe the tropheus)...no offence meant Barbie :D :twisted:
"Aprés moi, le deluge"
"Per purum tonantes"
"Esse potius quam videri"
"Tentate et perficite"
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

667 and counting.....
You bet. If you have adult Arowana's and you want them to spawn or in general be in prime shape; breed and feed these roaches.
Arowana's feed on big insects for more than 50% or so, and the substances of these are much more natural for them than feeder fish.

I think,certain big catfishes too (Leiarus,, Perrunichthys, Hemibagrus, Mystus, Bagrus etc) will do fine if the diet consists of more than just fish.

And they're dead easy to breed; a smooth walled tank (Deadhead Roches cannot climb glass; unfortunately Madagascar roaches CAN, so those need a tight lid), and any leftovers from your own food. for example, they love sandwiches, cheese, applecore, bananaskin etc...
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Nope, don't like bugs much, roaches are on the list of REALLY don't like them bugs. I had one in Texas try to keep me prisoner in my hotel room for hours. It would turn and face me like it was ready to pounce when I tried to get out the door. It was 2 inches or more. Those and spiders. Well and ticks, but they're just vampire spiders, so of course they'd be on the list :razz:

Barbie
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

O man I was doing just fine relaxing in my forum untill I started reading about roaches and spiders :evil: . Considering im recovering from a recent(Thursday) Brown Recluse bite. Very unpleasant I must say at the least. Fortunately tissue damage is at a minimum right now but I got bit just under my knee and im in terrible pain from midcalf to my groin :shock: (no that part is ok) But all in all I feel ok unless im awake. Wouldnt recomend these little fiddleback bastards as pets SG.
Pectorale
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

Oh, but they're quite nice really. I'm not into bugs myself either but I took care of Sids in the holidays and they didn't try to attack me once :P
So as long as he doesn't bring them over to my place...

By the way, the 666 thing, I know Sid. Be afraid, be very afraid :lol: :lol: :twisted:
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

Barbie wrote:Nope, don't like bugs much, roaches are on the list of REALLY don't like them bugs. I had one in Texas try to keep me prisoner in my hotel room for hours. It would turn and face me like it was ready to pounce when I tried to get out the door. It was 2 inches or more. Those and spiders. Well and ticks, but they're just vampire spiders, so of course they'd be on the list :razz:

Barbie

Well as a mater of fact ticks are related to spiders.
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

michelle56 wrote:Well as a mater of fact ticks are related to spiders.
Isn't that what Barbie just said?
Barbie wrote:Those and spiders. Well and ticks, but they're just vampire spiders, so of course they'd be on the list :razz:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Sid and others,
I have kept Hissers and Deathhead roaches for years. The white ones (just after a shed) make excellent food for fish (even small ones as they are soft). The adults can be fed whole to any large catfish species (for me Liosomadoras morrowi and Driftwood cats).
I also usually add a couple good handfulls to my "blender mix" frozen fishfood recipes.

Sid Wrote:
Now I need a big hairy Tarantula or Emperorscorpion (knowing myself, probably both) to curb the Roach-herd.
Why waste them, got a freezer? Besides, Emperors and Tarantulas don't eat very often, no more than one small roach a week (been there, done that). That slow invertibrate metabolism can't keep up with the roaches reproductive rates. I probably have over 1.5 pounds still frozen to feed out (I quit keeping them earlier this year.) When this runs out, I'll re-establish a colony. You really can't find a better high protien fish food.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
doctorzeb
My images: 8
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

Paul.

What does a roach sound like when you put in the liquidiser?
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

sounds exactly like I was doing a few years back when working in a reptile zoo.

It wasn't roaches, but crickets. I had a few Pantodons and some big Barilius/Rayamas and several Bushfish, Anaspidoglanis-cats, Bichirs etc.
I would take plenty crickets home and freeze them in huge numbers. They made excellent food, but I fed them whole. I had fishes big enough to tackle adult Black Crickets.

Unfortunately my current fish don't eat much protein, most are veggie eaters. For the smaller cats that do, a single roach would be too much.

I just need an alibi to setup a scorpiontank at school, and perhaps setup a tank for a Giant Toad too (Bufo marinus is definitely up to the challenge of eating tons of roaches!), and knowing myself, the schoolpersonnel will fall for it
:wink:
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

A Marine toad could likely keep up and even possibly outpace your colonies! The roaches would be nearly ideal food for them. I have always liked these, particularly once they get really big (1+ kg or so).

The Blue-Tongue skink (Tiliqua intermedia) I used to have really enjoyed these as well. I passed her on to a breeder with a larger colony (blond phase female).

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
jim m
Location 1: yucca vally ca
Interests: fish keeping wood working gardning

Post by jim m »

i dont know i think id be in a whole lot o trouble if my wife opened a tuperware from the frezer and found it full of roachs.

jim
bottomdwellin
Location 1: CT, USA
Interests: Catfish of course

Post by bottomdwellin »

Feeling flashbacks to "Fear Factor" Monday night and hearing hisses behind me!

Do you provide their roaches SG?
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

No, I really loathe that show.....

It's a bunch of wannabe loosers doing stupid sh*t and getting paid loads of cash....really dumb.

If they want to start a REAL fearfactor, they should dump those people at random in Chzechnia, North Korea or the Occupied Territories or another deadzone of human misery.
THAT would show wich of those white, upperclass twirps would be men or mice!

If they wanna show the world how a tough MoFo they are? Join the Marines, or do something useful and free oppressed people who are suffering, or join the Red Cross or the Firefighting-brigade or the PoliceCorps or something.

Fearfactor....YUK!
bottomdwellin
Location 1: CT, USA
Interests: Catfish of course

Post by bottomdwellin »

I agree 100% SG.
Just trying to get a mental picture of all your friends and it's the closest I could come.
Didn't mean to work you up! :oops:

Back to the topic: I always thought those other fish owners were just like us and our Pl*co?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Ahhh, c'mon Sid, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel? :lol:

Barbie
jonthefishkid
Location 1: SALISBURY MARYLAND

Post by jonthefishkid »

in that case can my albino channel cat have the nasty ones in my science classroom?????
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I'M A 13 YEAR OLD AQUARIST AND DONT GET ANY ALLOWANCE ITS GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE MY FISH EAT SO MUCH THAT I HARDLY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY FISH FOOD ANYMORE!
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Me & My Big Mouth Again?

yeah, yeah, I know; kill the messenger.....

I'm just easily worked up (read: Very P*ssed Off) by what I experience as sheer stupidity, combined with nihilism and commercial greed; all to "entertain" the cow-munching, no-IQ-whatsoever passive couch-potato-TV-crowd.

I mean, REALLY! so many people asleep? or is "Lobotomy through watching TV" the latest fashion? Guess I'm born into the wrong century! Good thing I don't run for Pretzeldent, I would botch it even worse than my good friend George.

Ah, well. I guess I'm sort of a very predictable "forum-joker", just feed me some (political, religious, offensive, or dumb) stuff and KABLOOIE! flying off the handle again.....

So get your kicks & have your fun while I'm still here, while you can :wink: :wink: :wink:

Return to “Speak Easy”