L200-Green Phantom Advice needed

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

L200-Green Phantom Advice needed

Post by alvin »

Hi

I have the opportunity to purchase 2 of these but as they are quite expensive, I want to be sure that I know whats required. The info on the web is both limited and contradictory, therefore I am hoping to appeal to the wealth of info in this forum.
The fish are 12-13cm TL. My tap water is around pH7.5-7.6. The GH is medium. Will the fish be fine in this water? Also, are they old enough to be sexed and if so, what do I look for? At this size is it possible that they are sexually mature? Has anyone had any experience in breeding them and if so, what can I do to facilitate this?
Lots of questions but thanks in advance for the info.

Rgds
Alvin
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: L200-Green Phantom Advice needed

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,
Will the fish be fine in this water?
Yes.
Also, are they old enough to be sexed and if so, what do I look for?
I think it will be difficult at that size, but possibly yes. The male has a wider head than the female and is not as plump as a sexually mature female is.
At this size is it possible that they are sexually mature?
The more important factor is the age. But if they are grown well, I don´t think so.
Has anyone had any experience in breeding them and if so, what can I do to facilitate this?
There are two different types of L 200. Baryancistrus demantoides and Hemiancistrus subviridis. Last one has been bred several times, and the Hifin only once I think. There is a huge thread somewhere here in the forum.
Daniel
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

Re: L200-Green Phantom Advice needed

Post by alvin »

Daniel...Tks for the reply.

Rgds
Alvin

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”