Advice needed for reshuffling tanks with plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Advice needed for reshuffling tanks with plecos

Post by Proteus »

Just finally sold off my last remaining cichlid collection, most tetras and most cories are now gone.

Right now I'm at the point where I'm frozen on which would be fine with each other for least one more year until I figure out where I want to move/live next. My plans is going to revolve around all of my plecos.

My main issue is now that I'm growing out several clown loaches just for entertainment purposes as they're what keeps the family members happy looking into one of the tanks in the office. That tank is a 65g flatback hex currently housing all of the clown loaches (biggest one is 6.5'' others at 5''-3.5'', the 3 big raphaels, M. Dayii spiney eel around 6'', 5 congo tetras the current temperature of the tank swings from 78-80 -

I do want to put at least one species of plecos with them and remove the 3 big raphaels and put them in the 110g stock tub which I really got for them.

My current plan is to get a RO/DI unit as I'm already doing tons of water changes every other day I do at least 25%-75% depending on which tank ate what. That's what keeps the fish happy but not good enough for breeding.

MY plans:

65 flatback hex- temperature 78-80 degrees (temp can be upgraded): clown loaches, congo tetras, 1 M. dayii eel growout (I'm not sure if I want to sell it off)
110g stock tub- temperature 78 degrees: 7 jaguar catfish, 6 raphaels, L235 female

Right now I want to reduce the number of hypans/plecos I have in the 55g community tank- no issues with spaces as I really literally have too many plecos in that tank and want to spread them out now to other 2 tanks. (especially the L134s)

55g temperature 84 degrees:

L134s at least 17 (8 Wcs, 8F1s their offpsring) and 8 more fry at least
L397 male (got it 4 months ago!)
L271 trio
L204 (plan on getting more in the future)
L270 reverse trio
L066 2M/2F
L260 male
L046 3 unknown genders
L226 6

nothing else is in the tank with the plecos.

I have a 20g currently with 9 nanus (not sure on id) cories, 6 L183 growouts, L239, L340 male, breeding group of honeycomb cats of 8 which I plan on putting outside in a pond this summer for all of the guys if they can't fit into the 55g, 65g or the 110g

My ? is which ones will benefit better with which temperature range?
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Re: Advice needed for reshuffling tanks with plecos

Post by plecomanpat »

Hi Proteus, Sounds to me that a little research in the cat-elog would answer most of your questions
Lets go Red Wings
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

plecomanpat wrote:Hi Proteus, Sounds to me that a little research in the cat-elog would answer most of your questions
Do you think I didn't know that. D'oh.

I posted this question asking for people's experiences out there as people have done certain combinations with success. All I was asking for peoples feedback/opinion on the best solution on spreading out the species and making them happy. I rather get feedback from people who have been there and done that. Which tank they could benefit from and why as there might been one magical formula on a certain tank combination that I just overlooked or didn't think would work would be a great solution otherwise I wouldn't be asking people for their opinion to start out with. Right now its apparent my current combination is not working out right now in the 55g tank. I'm only keeping my guys satisfied but not happy. This is the reason of me asking others for their opinion now that I have afforded to free up more space for the guys and maximizing the benefit of the 2 extra tank spaces for them.

What's the point of having a forum if all info was in the cat-elog?

FYI which isn't 100% reliable to start out with?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Proteus wrote:What's the point of having a forum if all info was in the cat-elog?
And what's the point in spending hours on making the Cat-eLog better in all the different ways that we do, if no one reads it.
Nor is what users post... Or any other form of collected information... But if you know of any particular points where the Cat-eLog is wrong, then please let us know - most of the time it's relatively easy to fix things that are wrong....

Further, it would probably help a fair bit if you came up with some suggested moves, with a summary of what fish will be in what tank (numbers and sizes would also help).

--
Mats
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

MatsP wrote:
Proteus wrote:What's the point of having a forum if all info was in the cat-elog?
And what's the point in spending hours on making the Cat-eLog better in all the different ways that we do, if no one reads it.
Nor is what users post... Or any other form of collected information... But if you know of any particular points where the Cat-eLog is wrong, then please let us know - most of the time it's relatively easy to fix things that are wrong....

Further, it would probably help a fair bit if you came up with some suggested moves, with a summary of what fish will be in what tank (numbers and sizes would also help).

--
Mats

Hence my point being proven. There's always new info coming out everyday hence the cat-elog having to be adjusted/updated hence me saying its not 100% reliable. That's why I'm posting for info/feedback and reading others experiences/observations. Which is why I love this forum.

and I have no suggestions on the moves at this time and the tank sizes/numbers of fish already has been mentioned. BUT i should be more organized with the clogs so I'm going to try my best with what idea I have so far. All are adult sized or plus with the raphaels excemption of one 2'' jag cat and L134 fry , L183 growouts.

I'm not sure if anyone had any success doing clown loaches with any of the hypans number or the L134s which I really want to split into two main groups of the WCs and their F1s offspring.

65g flatback tank- 80 degrees?

5x congo tetras
6x clown loaches 6.5''-3.5''
1x M. Dayii (spiney eel) 6''
8x F1 L134 (currently in the 55g)
1x female 2'' (currently in 20g soon to be shut down)
1x L239 3'' (currently in 20g soon to be shut down)
2x pair (currently in the 55g)

For the 110 g stock tub, it will probably be more likely to be set at 76-78 degrees:

7x jaguar cats 6x at 5-6'' 1x at 2'' (currently in 40g breeder soon to be shut down)
3x spotted raphaels 2x 4'' 1x 8'' (currently in the 40g breeder soon to be shut down)
2x stripped raphaels 8'' and 10'' at least (currently in the 65g hex with loaches)
1x 10'' at least. (Currently in the 65g hex with loaches)
6x L183s 1.5'' L183s (currently in 20g soon to be shut down)
3x L271s 4''-5'' (currently in the 55g)
1x L235 female cheeky girl (currently in 40g breeder soon to be shut down)
1x L260 male (currently in the 55g)

55g tank 84 degrees

1x L204
6x L226 no temperature given per cat-elog- they've been in 80-84 degree since they were 2'' with me. now 4''
2x pair L066
3x L046
3x L270
8x wc L134 breeders

Hope I didn't forget anything or if you see better combo suggestion let me hear it! The clown loaches/congo tetras has to be either in the 55g or the 65g due to viewing purposes of the family/guests.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

What I meant with my comment about the Cat-eLog is that we do our best to keep it updated - and my point wasn't an attempt to say that the Cat-eLog is flawed, which seems to be your opinion. It is not 100% because there is always more information to add - if nothing else, we could always add some generic information about feeding and suitable environment for fish with little data. But the species you list are generally fairly well known, and I still think the Cat-eLog would be fine as to what you need to know.

My first suggestion is to not keep multiple species of Hypancistrus in the same tank, as if you do provide good enough conditions that they wish to breed, they may cross-breed, which would be a bit of a pity on a species that isn't that "productive".

--
Mats
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

MatsP wrote:What I meant with my comment about the Cat-eLog is that we do our best to keep it updated - and my point wasn't an attempt to say that the Cat-eLog is flawed, which seems to be your opinion. It is not 100% because there is always more information to add - if nothing else, we could always add some generic information about feeding and suitable environment for fish with little data. But the species you list are generally fairly well known, and I still think the Cat-eLog would be fine as to what you need to know.

My first suggestion is to not keep multiple species of Hypancistrus in the same tank, as if you do provide good enough conditions that they wish to breed, they may cross-breed, which would be a bit of a pity on a species that isn't that "productive".

--
Mats
Where is the temperature information for the L226? its not listed

so its not 100% so please do not take it as an insult. I took the cat-elog temperature advice when the L270 first came out a couple of years ago the temperature recommendation was way too cold for the species and I kept killing off batch after batch of them until the cat-elog upped the temperature and now I'm keeping them with no losses hence me being wary on temperature ranges. I don't see myself crying and yelling at you guys for that, I just took it as it was and tell myself that its always changing information as its not always 100% correct.

First of all, the hypans were until last week divided by the egg crate dividers in the 55 g into 3 way. Now no dividers :-T

The L260 male has absolutely NO interest in any others. IT does not want to do anything with anybody as long as he has his own favorite cave. His cave is viewable to me at all times when I set up or move around stuff I can always do a quick check on how he's doing. As he's my favorite guy out there. I do not believe a L046 juvie will cross breed with any one of the L066s or the L270s and vice versa due to the size differences/color differences. The L046s have 3 more years to go before I believe they will start thinking about it. The only concern I had was that L260, but theyre the most difficult species to spawn so the chances of getting him to be interested was really slim when I even do not do RO water changes to reduce the TDS so thats the gamble I'm taking. I really honestly am not trying to breed them at this point until I move- I even had egg crate dividers to separate into 3 sections from the L270/L046, L260 by itself, and L066 for safety purposes to reduce possibility of male aggression. I just recently took down the dividers in able to catch the tetras/clown loach growouts I had in the tank to sell them off. I rather not put the dividers back up hence me trying to ask for a different view/feedback that I didn't think of before instead of putting more stress on the guys. Its kind of a slap in my face when you implied that I was doing this ignorantly with the hypans. I would prefer to hear suggestions instead of having "general" comments and for me to look at the cat-elog which is so "general" which isn't much of a help at all all.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Proteus wrote:Where is the temperature information for the L226? its not listed
Sorry, I didn't realize [and I didn't actually look through every species you listed - I just looked at the list and saw that they are mainly relatively common species]. I have looked up some info on L226, so will update (with 25-29'C). It is very difficult to find good information on pH, temperature and such. We currently have 1881 species with no data (out of about 2700 species, so about 70%). Size, where they are from, and distribution is a bit easier to fill in, and most species have some information on that.

We're expecting to get more data at least for species that are kept in the "my cats" section. However, that relies on people entering their data on there "My tank" or "my breeding logs", and currently we haven't got the mechanisms in place for harvesting those values, even if they are entered - but the plan for improving the values in the Cat-eLog is there.

I still think you'll get better response if you ask more specific questions...

--
Mats
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

:d

Okay fair enough I'll narrow it down:
First step is the Biggest set up which is the 110g stock tub.

Jaguar catfish/raphaels in the 110g stock tub- Due to the space of the 110g stock tub which is plenty of space as I'm planning on building at least 3-4 different sub-level shelves rigged by pipes/rocks/driftwoods and the endless hiding spaces, I already have materials. I want more plecos and at least one species of hypans to go into there

The temperature will be in the range of 76-78 degrees can get warmer in the summertime.

6x L183s Ancistrus dolichopterus 1.5'' L183s (currently in 20g soon to be shut down)
3x L271s Panaque sp(l271) 4''-5'' (currently in the 55g)
1x L235 female Pseudolithoxus anthrax cheeky girl (currently in 40g breeder soon to be shut down) I don't really forsee a problem with her if there all kinds of places to hide out in?
1x L260 male Hypancistrus sp(l260) (currently in the 55g)
6x L226s (currently in the 55g)?

Any other plecos what would be fine with them? Others I can put in L239 1x, L134 (can split the F1 134s into 4?)
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

Hey proteus, my intention was not to be condescending,nor start any debate on accuracy or lack off ,if you will excuse the expression, the cat-elog. Trial and error is an expensive and unacceptable step that I personally would not take if there is advice to be had out there, but the results can be completely opposite also. Good Luck :d
Lets go Red Wings
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Thanks!!! I've already done too many expensive trail and errors and am just throwing the white flag as I've just gotten my guys this far.... and really do not want to quit.
zebra1
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Arizona

Post by zebra1 »

I am fairly new to this site & to Plecos as well. I am not in the position as to give advise at this time as I am in the process of learning as much as I can from the more experienced members. However, this is the first time that I have noticed friction & sarcasm. I don't think that this is beneficial to anyone. I have always been impressed by the knowledge, experience, & helpfulness on this site. :-\
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

zebra1 wrote:I am fairly new to this site & to Plecos as well. I am not in the position as to give advise at this time as I am in the process of learning as much as I can from the more experienced members. However, this is the first time that I have noticed friction & sarcasm. I don't think that this is beneficial to anyone. I have always been impressed by the knowledge, experience, & helpfulness on this site. :-\

Don't worry we're usually nice. I think I hit a sore nerve with the team that worked very hard with countless hours putting together a great database probably over a half million man hours by now. I would go nuts myself if I was told there was a flaw in my project and I just spent backbreaking hours patching/painting a room and someone points out a hole/dent which I thought I already patched over lol. Overwhelmed I was, still am at the crossroads though...., as Mats pointed out I should narrow my questions.

.. Narrowing down my questions would have gotten me better answers than just putting up a long complicated equation thats way over everyones heads. Right now I'm hitting several forums for different feedbacks. Which is getting me baby steps what I should do next. So its all good... with what I end up doing I might in turn be able to help a member later on that has similar problem like I had. I'm always learning something everyday too. I learned from my stupid mistakes.

Cheers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”