my FIRST spawn....what can I feed the fry???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Baba1969
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Cape Cod, MA; USA

my FIRST spawn....what can I feed the fry???

Post by Baba1969 »

Hi Everyone! Its been exciting here on Cape Cod with my fish tank. I have cory anaeus (spelling???) and yesterday early morning I awoke to see them spawning! :-O I had been being very careful lately with checking the water quality and I guess that did it! Finally they "got down to business". However, I have only bred bettas, so I have NO idea what to feed the fry, after they hatch and then after about 2 days, since I know they'll be living on their yolk sacs then. Now, with the bettas.....someone told me that real powdered eggs will feed the fry just fine for the first few weeks if unable to get a commercially available fry food. Since this was a bit unexpected, I dont have any fry food....so I have to ask: Would I be able to feed the fry a powdered egg formula, and if so, then how much?

Also, I still have the cory cats in the main tank along with my male betta. Should I remove the betta for now, until the fry are larger???

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!!!
-Baba
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4438.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: my FIRST spawn....what can I feed the fry???

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Most fish see eggs as food and act accordingly. Both your betta and the corys themselves would eat the eggs. Ideally the eggs should be removed and hatched either in a small tank or other container. You may need to provide any or all of: heat, air and methyl blue (or other fungus preventer} depending on what setup you use.

Note that many fish will be able to suck eggs out through the mesh of the net breeders to get the yolks, so if going that route look for a solid type of breeder trap.

There are many foods one could feed. Powdered egg yolk is messy but works. Cyclop-eeze, pearls, freshly hatched brine shrimo and a host of other foods will all work. Basically, the key is tiny, high protein foods work best. You could use fry food from ken- http://www.kensfish.com/fishforsale.html
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”