I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT.

Post by MichaelC95 »

:(( Today I had just picked up some rummynose tetras from House of Tropicals in Maryland and after I acclimated them I was going to pour them into my sink (I know already sounds bad but ussually have no problems) I was just pouring out the water from store in case of parasites. Well today was just an off day with all the stress ~X( and so I pour them in to the sink at about 10 PM and this is the worst part I was so out of it that I forgot to close the drain :(( !! They went down the drain now I'm just feeling so bad and regret my decsion. How bad do you think this mistake was? R.I.P. RUMMYNOSE TETRAS YOU WILL BE MISSED
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT.

Post by PlecoCrazy »

That is horrible. So sorry to hear. I'm sure you must be kicking yourself. Hopefully you get to the point were you laugh at yourself.

One time I cleaned out a filter in my L134 tank in a bucket. The water was of course very dirty and dumped the bucket of dirty water down the toilet. Came back to the toilet a minute later to put another bucket of water down the toilet and there were two baby L134 sucking to the bottom of the toilet. :-O I managed to catch those two but wondered what else went down.

About a month ago I accidently flushed a sponge from a filter down the toilet that was in a bucket of dirty water and clogged it up.

Your not the only one that has some brain farts!

I usually just pour the bag of fish into a net to keep the water out of my tanks. :)
-Trent
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure we all have done something stupid in our fishkeeping days - I have certainly lost a couple of baby Ancistrus down the drain when they take residence in the filter...

If you are worried about parasites, I'd say the water is much less of an issue than the fish themselves. And just use a net to get them out of bucket/bag.

--
Mats
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Some time ago I ordered some synodontis petricola and my mom was home when the box came. She called me to say so, and mentioned the fish were gasping, in general not looking good. I told her how to drain the bags, and to get the fish into my tank (QT) stat. Unfortunately one of them took a leap and landed pretty much in the garbage disposal, which was off. I narrowly averted my mom going to the hospital by partially deafening her, "DON'T PICK IT UP DON'T USE YOUR HANDS," so paranoid I was of it locking its pec fins on her. She ended up using tweezers to retrieve it, but was half paranoid the rest of the time I had them that I'd get stuck instead.

For super stupid mistakes, anyone else remember when I splurged, got some L260 fry, and then some oil cats? Eh, they look fine, they can QT together! .....cue 1 surviving L260 and everything else died. Super expensive lesson.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “Speak Easy”