Bachelor pad of zebras?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Bachelor pad of zebras?

Post by Taratron »

Back in March or so, I picked up 3 L46 from a friend getting out of the hobby. Poor fish were kept with African cichlid fry, in an unheated tank. I was told there had been two pairs (friend got the zebras in a trade a few years prior and lost one during the move) so in theory I should have 2m, 1 f, or 2f, 1 m. For a while I only saw two zebras in caves and celebrated that I had males and a female.

But now I regularly see all three in caves. They seem to switch around who gets what cave though.

Do I have a bachelor pad of three males, or do I need to rearrange the tank, get more caves, etc? The tank is 20 gallons with lots of rockwork and about 6 caves.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
zebra1
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Arizona

Re: Bachelor pad of zebras?

Post by zebra1 »

If you can post some photos I could give you my opinion of their sexes. There are a lot of members with a lot more experience than me that could help you. I am glad that you are in Phoenix. I am in Cottonwood. If you want to sell any of your L46's please let me know. I only have 1 zebra that is about 2" in size, sex unknown. lol Steve.
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: Bachelor pad of zebras?

Post by vanillarum »

It is not uncommon for females to take up hiding in caves, especially if there are few other places for them to hide. And I think they do this purposely to help make it more difficult for us to sex them ! I would suggest adding some other places for them to hide and feel safe, and see if that might bring the female(s) out of the caves. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”