Rubber Pleco, or Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip Pleco?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
1hawaii50
Location 2: Cleveland, Ohio...USA!

Rubber Pleco, or Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip Pleco?

Post by 1hawaii50 »

I saw these at my LFS and they were labeled "Rubber" Pleco. I asked the worker, and he told me that they are the same as a "Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip" Pleco. I think that it is a Rubber Nose Pleco, any help is appreciated! He was $5.99, he is about 2.5" long, and his color looks to be gray. I tried to get a good look at him when I got him into the tank, but he immediately went into hiding. My tank is a 38G tank, and I'm wondering if it IS a "Rubber" pleco, if he'll be OK sizewise for my tank, or if he'll need to go back to the LFS?

I know the pics aren't the best, but that's as good as I could get through the tank glass, and the plastic bag from the LFS! I know he looks more brown in the pics, but he appears more gray in person!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Re: Rubber Pleco, or Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip Pleco?

Post by racoll »

If by "rubber pleco" you mean , then no, it is not that.

Your fish is a , and these are usually sold as "rubber nose plecos".

Could be or . Not sure. It still looks young.

The eyes and the spots are very small though, which could mean something else.

I'll consult a book later.

:D

[Mod edit: Change Chaetostoma sp(2) to sp(L443) --Mats]
1hawaii50

Post by 1hawaii50 »

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Rubber Pleco, or Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip Pleco?
by racoll on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 pm

If by "rubber pl*co" you mean Parancistrus aurantiacus, then no, it is not that.

Your fish is a Chaetostoma, and these are usually sold as "rubber nose plecos".

Could be Chaetostoma sp(2) or Chaetostoma nudirostre. Not sure. It still looks young.

The eyes and the spots are very small though, which could mean something else.

I'll consult a book later.
Thanks for the response. The LFS had "Rubber Pleco" written on the tank. I figured it was a Rubber-nose pleco. The Rubber-nose is what I wanted, as they stay a little smaller than the Rubber pleco.
sunfish
My images: 3
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Germany

Post by sunfish »

I agree, this is a Chaetostoma. Your tank size is OK, just bear in mind that Chaetostoma are usually found in fast flowing hillstreams (i.e. require cold, highly oxygenated water).
Cheers,
Tina
1hawaii50

Post by 1hawaii50 »

sunfish wrote:I agree, this is a Chaetostoma. Your tank size is OK, just bear in mind that Chaetostoma are usually found in fast flowing hillstreams (i.e. require cold, highly oxygenated water).
Tina,

I have an AC110 filter on the tank, so there is plenty of flow. I had the tank at 80F, but I'm slowly lowering it to 76F. I've also got a very large air pump running two airstones. Will this work OK, or do I need to return him for a Bristlenose?
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

Re: Rubber pl*co, or Rubber Nose/Rubber Lip pl*co?

Post by Timberwolf »

I have a pair of these guys in my Eclipse 37. You won't see much of them, or their personalities for the first week, or so, and it can be a challenge to get them to start eating. Once they decide that their new home is ok, they are great fish! I got mine from PetSmart, as did the PC member who helped me correctly identify them as Chaetosoma sp. (2). Mine were also mislabelled as "Rubber Plecos."

Enjoy them! I certainly do.
grokefish
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

I would say chaetostoma sp.2.

Chaetostoma are a funny lot, I have kept them for years and also bred one species,they do come from fast flowing cool water streams however they will survive and somehow prosper in community tanks.

They do best in very fast turnover tanks and the best thing about them is they are, unusually for cats, diurnal as in they come out during the day.
They are comical fish and to appreciate them best a dedicated biotope tank is the way forward.
Shane or Jools, I can't remember who, I think Shane, has done a very good article on this site which inspired me to do this.
They are without doubt my favorite catfish.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I love them, too. They might appreciate the temperature a little bit lower than 76. Possibly 74 or under. A powerhead for current is a good idea. I'm with Groke-they are a funny lot. Mine are in a species tank, 20 long. The 5 adults just knocked the heater off of the suction cups. Three of them are at the moment swinging on the plastic heater. It is directly in the current. The other 2 are digging under the driftwood like dogs. I feel as if I should be playing fetch with them. :? :lol:
Amanda
grokefish
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Awesome arn't they.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
1hawaii50

Post by 1hawaii50 »

Any ideas on what the best type of driftwood would be for him?
I was at PetSmart today, and I found a small package of "Mac's" grape driftwood. It is packaged for use in a reptile tank, but it doesn't say if you can/can't use it in an aquarium. I asked the salesclerk, and they had no clue. If I boil this all day long, do you think it would be safe to use. The package just says that it is heat treated, and a product of the USA. If I should look for something else, what should I get?
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Ask about Malaysian driftwood. It's also available online. It will sink very easily. Small rocks (non-reactive) are also important for them.
Amanda
Kinlay
Location 2: Minnesota

Post by Kinlay »

That is a rubber lip pleco I got one 2 days ago it loses its color as soon as you get it but it will come back :)
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

It seems of little worth to ressurrect a 2.5 year old thread on identification, when the answer has already been provided?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

Return to “What is my catfish?”