L128 PH sensitive?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Blackhawker
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: San Diego

L128 PH sensitive?

Post by Blackhawker »

Hi there,

My tap water is naturally in the mid 7 range for PH, will that affect the L128 much if at all? How important is getting the PH dead on?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: L128 PH sensitive?

Post by MatsP »

It shouldn't be terribly important as long as you are not trying to breed them.

--
Mats
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I agree with Mats. I know local people here who are keeping them with African cichlids (not an ideal environment of course), but they seem to be doing fine. Not breeding of course.
Blackhawker
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: San Diego

Post by Blackhawker »

Awesome, thank you. Just ordered a shipment from Jeff Rapps, hopefully I'll have better luck this time!
puertoayacucho
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SLC, Utah
Location 2: USA

Post by puertoayacucho »

Be very careful when adjusting the pH...I also know of people who have kept L128 with africans. I just acquired a pair from a pretty knowledgable hobbyist who basically keep african cichlids and he was keeping them at pH 8+/-.
I had him slowly bring them down to 7.5 during a week and had a tank ready at pH 7.5, hard water (300ppm) to receive them. Temperature was about 82F. Once at home I did partial water changes daily (20%) with r/o water until I came to pH 7.0+/- and 100ppm TDS. I then added Muriatic acid, about 10ml per day, until I got a pH 0f 6.0, holding fine. Tank is a 55G.

These fish do not take harsh pH adjustments well so do them gradually. They are very sensitive to quick pH changes, but they do adapt to a variable range.

Regards
Ed
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Very true. I forgot to mention that. They're pretty tough, but do seem to be touchy to quick changes.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Watch out for Ed. He thinks anything higher than 30 ppm is hard water. :lol: :lol:
Ed wrote:
"I had him slowly bring them down to 7.5 during a week and had a tank ready at pH 7.5, hard water (300ppm) to receive them."
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
puertoayacucho
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SLC, Utah
Location 2: USA

Post by puertoayacucho »

LOL Larry. I'm doing a little exception here and I am trying to keep it around 100ppm. Where these guys are from water is around there, somewhat harder than in the tributaries, mainly because it's rough water, a lot of movement, erosion over solid rock surfaces and the TDS is quite higher than in the surrounding and immediate "altum" habitat we have dealt with at Finarama.
Been feeding them blackworms as of yesterday and they are going for them as expected....they had been eating a bit before then, but I still don't like their poo!
BTW, how's the cold up there coming along?...down here in the SLV snow has been on and off this week...out the window it looks nice and sunny today, but I think it must be rather cold judging by the temp here in my living room right now.
Hope to see you soon.
Ed

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”