Jumping Plecos?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Patr1ck
Location 2: Tempe,AZ USA

Jumping Plecos?

Post by Patr1ck »

Has anyone had any issues with plecos jumping from their tanks? Im asking as I would like to go open top with my tank as to allow better gas exchange.

Thanks,
Patrick
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Jumping Plecos?

Post by MatsP »

They are ABLE to jump out of the water. I wouldn't say it's a big problem, but it has been known to happen...

--
Mats
Patr1ck
Location 2: Tempe,AZ USA

Re: Jumping plecos?

Post by Patr1ck »

So would a wire top like on a reptile cage be the way to go? Or would it rust? Im not sure what metal that they are made from.

Thanks,
Patrick
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Some of the people who keep marine tanks do indeed use a stainless steel mesh on top. It needs to be good quality stainless in a marine setup, since any "polution" from metal entering the water would cause big problems - it's not QUITE so sensitive on a freshwater tank, as the fresh water is much less aggressive against metals.

Plastic or plastic coated metal may also be a possibility - something like the net used for the screen doors in US houses would be a possibility, I suppose.

I personally use glass or plastic covers on all my tanks - it reduces evaporation as well as keep the fish in the tank. I use an air-pump to ensure that the tank water is well oxygenated (along with, in most tanks, a couple of pumps to circulate the water).

--
Mats
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I've been running open top for years (due to using metal halide lights) and have never lost a loricariid - my impression is that they don't jump unless they are really, really, really unhappy about water quality or company. I have lost some tetras, though.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I've had issues with climbing bristlenoses- a 1" fish climbed the last 3 inches above the water line and wound up dried up on the carpet; other aquarists have also had adult bristlenoses "disappear" in open-top tanks, which probably is due to them climbing out and not being found.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I have found three dried out Bristlenoses on the floor at different times. And that's WITH a top on the tank. In one case it MAY have been a case of me loosing one out of a net when catching them.

The escape artist bristlenoses also, as far as I can guess [1], climb up the pipes for the centralized filtration, and travel "upstream" to the neighbouring tanks!

[1] Both tiny ones and big ones. The tiny ones I can guess will go out through the overflow, and eventually ends up in the pump and spits out in a different tank. But the ones that are 1.5"/4cm long (TL) are WAY to big to go through the overflow by accident (or on purpose), so they MUST be climbing up the outflow.

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Has anyone had any issues with plecos jumping from their tanks?
Yes... but they usually only do it once.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Shane wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with plecos jumping from their tanks?
Yes... but they usually only do it once.

-Shane
LOL :lol:

I have only had experiences with common bristlenoses leaving the tank. I have never had any other pleco species jumping out. Mike is on to something about fish jumping out because of something wrong with the water. It makes sence.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

It has only happened to me once, with a . When I gave it an unusual food, persimmon (sharon fruit), it ate quite a lot and afterwards suddenly jumped out of the tank. I rescued it, and it seemed fine, but I have never again given persimmon to my plecos, in case it is toxic (or hallucinatory and makes them think they can fly :) ).
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
hotchiliz
My articles: 1
My images: 6
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by hotchiliz »

There do have many cases, especially for big size ones like megalancistrus and pseudacanthicus, when they are quite new to the tank environment or poor water quality issues.

Mine is a open-top concept so that the temperature will be much cooler, just that, i have a all-round bracing on all the sides.
They normally will attempt to "jump" from the side glass and with bracing on all four corners, it prevents them from leaping over the tank.

It works.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

this has happened to me-have you maybe check the breathing of the pleco?
my bristlenose have went really into hyperventilation mode when the zucchini stuffed up my tank (too much zucch :? )
i would reccomend a big water change

also i use to have a internal filter where it flowed out on towards the glass making a waterfall kindo of thing and my little albino's i had use to climb up the waterfall when i was asleep. and my tank was in my room!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”