Alternative catfish for Orinoco drainage biotope tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Dan S
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: UK

Alternative catfish for Orinoco drainage biotope tank

Post by Dan S »

Hello,

Im new on here so if Ive missed a relevant thread or info then I apologise in advance.

Im in the process of setting up an Orinoco Drainage Biotope tank with the following fish to work as a community tank. The fish Im thinking of using are Uaru, Pterophyllum and maybe some Biotodoma or Geos.
Usually I just pick a few corys to put in a tank just as a clean up crew (cichlids being the focus) but this time I want to put some thought into getting a special catfish or two to work with.

What Im looking for is some interesting catfish (not corys, although I love corys I after something different). Im thinking in the 2 - 7" size range that is peaceful.

Anyone got any pointers to get my research started?

Thanks

Dan
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: Alternative catfish for Orinoco drainage biotope tank

Post by sidguppy »

can't get better than this when you want a mediumsized very peaceful social catfish that is a true species from the Orinoco!
Valar Morghulis
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

You can find fish in the Cat-eLog that have a distribution in the Orinico, and click "Orinoco" for other fish that are in the same river. Click here for a link that I just found by doing that. I think there might be too many species, which is why it seems to be capping at 100. You can also use the Cat-eLog to search by location, though, so try that, because you should be able to limit it by family as well.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

One suggestion that would be biotope correct would be . They are actually only in the trade as they are bycatch of the Discus trade. is another sp captured down in that area.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Dan S
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: UK

Post by Dan S »

Thanks guys for the pointers there.

Sidguppy, that looks amazing. Thanks for that.

Suckermouth, I have started going through the Cat-elog, I was just after a couple of ideas with which to start as there is so much here to learn, as I said, being new to catfish apart from Corydoras Sterbai its mind boggling how many species there are to look at.

Shane, the Sturisomatichthys sp' rio atabapo looks great.

Dan

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”