All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
blueblue
Location 1: Asia
Location 2: Asia

Post by blueblue »

This is the 2nd blue-eye Panaque that i acquired, please help comment on its gender. It is 35 cm long.
Thanks much. :D
Attachments
newBLUE1a.jpg
newBLUE2a.jpg
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Gender: Blue-Eye Panaque

Post by Barbie »

This fish also looks like a potentially gravid female, but that's only going to be my guess if they aren't recently imported. The level of odontodal growth changes drastically after that first 6 months, IME.

Barbie
mangopleco
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:46)
Location 2: New Jersey U.S.A.

Post by mangopleco »

it looks like a female
Joe M
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Post by Farid »

hi there,
i am surprized. is it hard to get blue eyed panaque where you are?? here the last one i saw is on sale for about 1100$ 25cm or a bit more!!

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
blueblue

Post by blueblue »

Thanks much Barbie and Mangopleco. This fish was recently acquired by me while I was told that the supplier had kept it for a while. It was claimed to be a 100% male fish while I serious doubted it. In addition, with the given caves, it never loves to stay inside. Instead, it always hangs around on the drift wood...
blueblue

Post by blueblue »

Farid wrote:hi there,
i am surprized. is it hard to get blue eyed panaque where you are?? here the last one i saw is on sale for about 1100$ 25cm or a bit more!!

farid
Well, i am in Asia while blue-eye panaque is available from major exporters in South America now.
Yes, the price is high and the price here can be even higher than what you mentioned!... :wink:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”