'galaxy ancistrus?'

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

'galaxy ancistrus?'

Post by alvin »

Hi

I was sold this pair has 'galaxy' ancistrus. Any help in id will be greatly appreciated.

The male adult has extensive bristles which are also branched out. The female is also bristled with no noticeable branching of bristles. The adults have an overall charcoal grey to black colouration and slightly blotchy. They also have fine white spots throughout the body. The 2 week fry have a overall dark colouration with fine white spots as well. Their caudal fins have a white edge and there is a white stripe through their caudal peduncle. This is not apparent on the adults.

I apologise for the poor images. Thanks again for the help
Attachments
catfish_adult.JPG
catfish.JPG
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: 'galaxy ancistrus?'

Post by Silurus »

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Could be many things, including the A. punctatus that Silurus suggests. Ancistrus are quite hard to identify, and your pictures do not show anything that is unique to any particular species.

--
Mats
alvin
Location 1: south africa
Interests: anything goes

Post by alvin »

Hi Silurus and MatsP

Thanks for the quick reply. After looking at various pics of a punctatus I do believe thats what I have.

It is amazing how you guys can put an id to fish with such limited information and poor pics.

Thanks again for a great website and quality unselfish information.

Return to “What is my catfish?”