Dorad research?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Dorad research?

Post by Andy »

Hi

Does anyone know if there's been any research done on the Dorad family?
I've done some looking about on the 'net but not found anything readable i.e. in english. I've mostly found species lists and while that gives me an idea as which cats are dorads it doesn't say much about lifecycles and other interesting stuff about them. I'd love some pointers as to where I can find more info.

Andy
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Mark Sabaj of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, one of the co-PIs of the All Catfish Species Project, is working on doradids for his Ph.D. dissertation (I don't think he is covering the entire family, though).
I also have Horacio Higuchi's 1992 Ph.D. dissertation on the phylogenetic relationships of the Doradidae.
Other than those, I don't know of anyone heavily involved in doradid taxonomy, or any other aspect of doradid biology for that matter.
There might be some scattered papers on doradid biology, but these may be either in Spanish or Portuguese, in obscure scientific journals.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

Post by Andy »

Thanks for the heads-up. It's a shame about the languages though, my spanish is pathetic. I'll just have to keep my eyes open then.

thanks again,

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”