help finding 2ft wide aquarium

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
betta blue
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: edmonton, canada
Interests: fish, plants, cats and dogs

help finding 2ft wide aquarium

Post by betta blue »

Help! Been over a year and a half that I've been trying to find a used 2 foot wide aquarium. I have seen bigger aquariums than 90 gal. for sale but none are 2 feet wide. I have a 90 gal. for my common plec. He's now 12 inches and I'm starting to panic. I phoned a local fish store that does custom aquariums and for one that is 2 feet wide and 120gal. they quoted $860 Cdn. for the tank. That's without lighting, filter, etc. They told me that my common plec was going to grow to 31in. long. I told them that he would be full grown at 16in. They disagreed with me but that's not my concern. The cost of getting an aquarium made is. He currently seems to be fine in his tank. He does go vertical in it...it's 24in high. He swims around a lot in the tank. He's quite active and wonderful to watch. Would a bigger tank that's not 2 feet wide be okay provided it's 2 feet in height? I can't afford a custom made tank that would need a custom made lighting unit plus the big filter. I've only looked locally for a used aquarium for him. Should I look at buying one on the internet...and are there ones that are 2 feet wide for sale...and if so, is it safe to ship them without damage? Sorry for being such a pain. I know I've posted a number of times about this guy!

Shar
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: help finding 2ft wide aquarium

Post by MatsP »

The price you quote sounds quite high. I had a quick search, and found this site:
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/sho ... asp?id=862

It shows a stock 48 x 24 x 24 tank for $518, which is less than CAD $650. Of course, that's without any delivery charge.

In my experience, custom made tanks aren't very much more espensive than standard tanks.

However, if you are having a tank made to measure, you may want to consider making it a bit wider, say 48 x 30 base, and 18-24" tall - it's probably not going to make a huge difference in the price, but it gives you a bit more space for larger fish.

--
Mats
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Thank you Mats. Cause of you and your good advise on size of aquarium for my common plec, I've been looking for a 2 foot wide aquarium since. Thanks for the site but with shipping from Long Island to Edmonton, I'm looking at almost 3,000 miles and the shipping will probably offset the difference on the custom made quote. But do you think a 4ft long aquarium would be long enought for him even if it is 2ft wide and 2ft high? I had hoped for at least a 5 to 6 foot long one that was 2 feet wide. I've found 2foot wide tanks in the UK and Aus. on the internet None close to me. I've now phoned all of the aquarium shops in Edmonton, Canada. I had one nice place tell me that they have sales on boxing day and my common plec should be fine til next boxing day. The other shops gave me advise to give away my common plec and some went on to scold me for buying him to begin with. Well, I did buy him and have enjoyed him immensely these past 2 and a half years and if I can't find a proper aquarium for him, I will be forced to give him away. That's not part of my plan. I still want to try to keep him. I did download a site that shows how to make a plexiglass aquarium. Afraid its neither my husbands nor my ability. How long would a 4foot long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet high aquarium be good for a common plec?

Thx,
Shar
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Well, I think I did warn you that they grow big - especially when they are looked after WELL. ;)

As to how long the next size up tank will last depends on many things, and it's hard to say really.

The link I gave was just the first one I could find which advertise those tanks. I'd be very surprised if there isn't someone closer seling the same brand of all-glass tanks.

You may want to try to find someone that sells these around your area:
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/ ... ariums.htm

--
Mats
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Thank you Mats. Yes you did warn me but I haven't given up yet. I love my big boy! He's not only graceful to watch but he's blinked at me...yes, I've read about the blinking and know he didn't do it acknowledge me...but it is still quite exciting when he does. I checked the site you referred and it's pet smart. Afraid I only checked aquarium shops here. I will drive down to my local pet smart shop with the info you sent me to see their prices. I'll also make a trip to Wallmart. Thank you for understanding. I committed to this fish and if I can possibly keep him, I will. I do not like having any animal that I give away cause it's inconvenient...but afraid there are some money constraints here. No I didn't know how big he would get when I got him. But he has been from a 5 gal tank to a 10 gal tank and now in a 90 gal. He has been wonderful at cleaning windows in all of the tanks he's been in...that I appreciate him for that...though I've read that he won't be doing that as he gets older...but we all need to retire at sometimes in our lives and I do appreciate the job he has done in addition to being a wonderful addition to my tanks. I work at a home based business (though I'm never at home selling) and I like to think there is always a solution to my problem. I hope to find one for my "Plec". Is it right that I still have about another year to find a solution? Is it right that a 4 foot long tank as long as it is 2 feet wide would be okay for him? Yes, he's healthy, happy and looking good!

Shar
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

The common maximum width of large NA manufactured tanks varies from 18 to 20 inches and those are fine for 18 inch Plecostomus.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Have you been in contact with anyone from the Aquarium Club of Edmonton http://www.fish-club.org/index.php?nav=hm

This is a good bunch of people and they may be able to steer you the right direction or know of someone that has what you are after.

Birger
Birger
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Thank you Birger! I will try them again. I bought a used filter from one of the people there that cost more to buy hoses, etc...it was my mistake...the filter hadn't even been cleaned, still had water and sand in it. In the end, my husband got so frustrated that he bought a new filter and told me never to buy a used one again. i guess you can't screw up on an aquaruim but honestly, have been looking in the bargain finder, Edmonton now for a year and a half...there just doesn't seem to be any 2 foot wide aquariums. Some of the bigger tanks were sold before I phoned or they were asking way more than I could afford. I did phone Aquarium Illusions and they were the ones that quoted just under $900 for the tank. They also told me that I was wrong about my common plec; he'd grow to 31 inches'; and I shouldn't have bought him to begin with. I told him he would only grow to 16 inches...18 max...the fellow I talked to there told me I was totally wrong. Big Al's told me to wait til boxing day for a sale on their tanks. They do have a tank for just under $500...not in stock but it's 4' by 2' by 2'. I don't think spending $500 for an extra 6 inches is worth it...am I a foolish female?

I will try the aquarium club here...and also the person I bought the crappy filter from. Thank you for suggesting it.
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Thank you Larry! I always wanted to thank you for your advise about two years ago with my betta that died from dropsy. You taught me to grow up...you used a word that I've forgotten but was totally appropriate...can you tell me it again...it was something that meant you felt like you were God but of course you're not. I've now lost about 6 fish in the past 2 1/2 years. I never like seeing one die but have accepted it now. I try my best. But now I'm just concerned about my common plec. How long do I have in a 90 gal. tank that is 4' x 2' high x 18 inches wide? for a plec that is currently 12 inches and a bit? He's currently swimming a lot in the tank. He does a vertical on the tank walls. Doesn't seem to have a problem turning around in the width of the tank. I have seen tanks that are longer but not wider. Though they are expensive too, it seems harder to find a 2foot width than a longer tank.
Thank you again for your response. I probably will be doing some questions on pipe fish when I get into trouble.
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Hi again Birger! Afraid I tried your site for Edmonton Fish Society and when I tried to email them, it came back as an invalid email. I will see if I can source them otherwise. The site you mentioned only had very old ads...like 2006.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

wow and I thought 800 was alot for the one I am saving for (120 gal) but thats the glass tank and the cabinet. Yours wants 860 for just the tank? This one I am saving for is 120 gals all glass 400 something for just the glass. As much for the cabinet it sets on and then extra for the big wood part that goes on top, I can't remember the grand total I will check on days off. The top wood piece is something which I have never bought before but it sure does look good. Now mine doesn't sound too outrageous a sum?

have you tried craigslist? do you have that where you are from? I keep checking craigslist but they never have the size I want.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Their next meeting is on the 7th of April http://www.fish-club.org/index.php?nav=mt

Two fella's with the Edmonton club will be at my place tomorrow evening...let me talk to them, they have a good idea as to what is out there for sale or maybe even a good place for you to go.

If I find out anything I will PM you.
Birger
betta blue

Post by betta blue »

Thank you everyone for your response. Afraid I'm working on April 7th...not finished til 9pm earliest...never can get to the Edm. club events. I will keep looking but my final question is when or how long does my plec grow before he's too big for the tank he's in. Cause I think he's special, I will give him away before I subject him to a tank that is not adequate for his size. I just don't know how much longer I have to find a solution. Thank you Mats. Yes, he's very healthy...beautiful looking leopardy spots and a wonderful fish to watch! I will never regret buying him even without full knowledge. Thanks to him, as he's progressed to his bigger tank, I've been able to buy a number of other catfish to inhabit the smaller ones . He also has taught me to do some checking before buying. And cause of him, I now own a couple of clown loaches that were meant to share his big tank.

Back to my question. Mats, you told me that he would need 4times his length for the length of the aquarium. He's now there. Do I have another inch or two of his growth that if I don't find another aquaruim, I need to give him away? Or can I keep him til I do find something if it's longer than as he gets longer? He's slowed down in growth....only about an inch in the past 6 months.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Well, my "minimum" tank-size is 4L x 2L x 2L - but for sure, there's some leeway if you are pushed for it. I must admit I have one common pleco in a tank that is far too small according to the above standard - the fish is a good 12" long, and the tank is only 48" x 18" x 15" - so well below the "required" size. I will defend myself by saying that I "rescued" this fish from a tank that wasn't any larger.

--
Mats
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I was just looking at www.glasscages.com, and they have some interesting size tanks:
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Orde ... 75Square48
You can PROBABLY get one that is the same base-format with a taller side too, if you wish.

The price for a complete system with all parts will of course be higher than your quoted price, but it's also a bigger tank.

--
Mats
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

As Mats says, you can get one close to your required size and it seems much cheaper than your initial quote:
48 x 24 x 25 Tall (http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=Orde ... dID=AQ_120) starts from $300.
They also ship to Canada, but not sure on the cost.
HTH
Martin
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

But if we add stand and canopy, we're looking close to $800, so if that is what the original price included, then I'm not sure there is much to be gained from simple pricing.

But buying a tank of "custom" size is usually no more expensive than getting one of standard size, but with more freedom to choose size (if we are talking about smaller manufacturers, rather than mass-producing kits such as Hagen, Juwel and such).

I'd also suggest looking at getting a tank with an overflow system and the bottom drilled to use a sump-tank. It makes for really good filtration systems.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”