Concerned about my skinny channel cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
puck
Location 1: Olathe, KS

Concerned about my skinny channel cat

Post by puck »

Hello All! I am new to your board.

I have a question regarding my albino channel cat, Felix. I am a little worried about him.

I have had Felix the Cat for, oh, less than a year. He shares a tank with Oscar the albino oscar. They get along great and seem to enjoy each other's company.

They are still in the same 29 gallon tank they started in, and things are getting a bit cramped in there for them, I am afraid. Felix is longer than the tank is front to back. Oscar is about 6 or 7 inches long.

I knew I would need to get a new tank for them -- I just never thought they would grow so quickly.

My concern is that Felix is looking a little skinny. Near the back of his tail, it is starting to look a little puckered in - like a little skinny around his bones. I am guessing maybe he is not getting enough exercise in his tank.

Is it a very urgent matter or can he wait a little while for a new tank? I am looking at the biggest tank PetSmart carries, and he might have to wait a couple weeks before I can buy it for him.

-puck
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Be prepared to get a really big tank, as channel cats reach sizes of up to 50" in length. If you ask me, channel cats are fish best kept in a pond.
FatCat
Location 1: Kansas USA
Interests: Fish, Wildlife, Computers, Music

Post by FatCat »

Yep big tank and dont plan on having it decorated pretty as he will demolish it in a feeding frenzy on top of your oscars redecorating. But from your description I think your fish is normal. They are pretty lean fish in their youth. amplified by the lack of pigment can make him look skinnier than he is. As long as he is eating normal (looking like he is pregnant with triplets afterwards) its more than likely he is fine. Get a long tank They like to swim and look great cruising the length of a long tank
ujha201
Location 1: Crookston MN

channel

Post by ujha201 »

they love chicken liver

Return to “Other Catfishes”