Sterbai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
trebor69
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Ohio USA

Sterbai

Post by trebor69 »

I want to move my school of sterbai into my discus tank

I keep my discus tank temp at 84-86F

I know the sterbai enjoy warm water but is that too warm for them long term?

its a bit warmer than their upper limit recommended here on PC

:D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Sterbai

Post by MatsP »

It is not ideal, but it's certainly better than keeping one of the cold-water species at that temperature.

--
Mats
bslindgren
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by bslindgren »

Mine seemed to do just fine when the temperature spiked at 30C ((86 F), but that was for a a few days only (I lost a Botia kubotai). I kept them at 82 F for quite some time before moving them to the tank I have now, which sits at 78F most of the time. You may want to make sure you have extra aeration, particularly at night. I know they get oxygen from air that they get from the surface as well , but it may not be a bad idea at night when the plants respirate as well. I'm not sure how active corys are at night.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

My Corydoras sterbai breeders have survived 4 summers where the temperature never dropped below 86*F. It gets hot and stays that way where i live, I can only keep and breed fish that are heat tolerant due to the hot summers.
I prefer keeping them between 80-82*F. and to stimulate spawning i temporarily add enough cold water to drop their tank temp to 75*F then allow it to rise back to the low 80's.

Although I have kept C. sterbai with Discus i now prefer to leave Corys out of Discus tanks and use Hypancistrus spp or Peckoltia sp L134 instead. They thrive in warm water and on the same foods I feed Discus. An adult Pleco of either genera is equivalent in clean up power as several Corys. I think Discus temperatures are a little too warm for most Corys if you take a long term view.
I breed both so I have had plenty of opportunities to gauge how they do at different temperatures.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”