ghost shrip

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
yeattsca
Location 2: charlotte NC
Interests: Swimming,triathalons,spug guns, kiteflying, and of corse aquariums

ghost shrip

Post by yeattsca »

Do ghost shrip help keep plants health? Can they live peacefully with rainbow sharks? Do they work as well as plecos? :?
keep it real!
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: ghost shrip

Post by Mike_Noren »

yeattsca wrote:Do ghost shrip help keep plants health? Can they live peacefully with rainbow sharks? Do they work as well as plecos? :?
In the US "ghost shrimp" are generally species of Palaemonetes, which are peaceful and hardy janitors, but don't eat algae. May or may not be able to survive with rainbow sharks (I'd guess they will).

However, there is also a possibility the "ghost shrimp" are some species of Macrobrachium, and they're as a rule not safe with fish - ie, they're fish eaters. Although rainbows might be fast & tough enough to avoid at least smaller species of Macrobrachium.

In short the answers are: "Not in the sense they eat algae"; "It depends"; and "they clean up leftovers, but don't eat algae".
yeattsca
Location 2: charlotte NC
Interests: Swimming,triathalons,spug guns, kiteflying, and of corse aquariums

Post by yeattsca »

Thanks that helps alot :D .
keep it real!
hotsauce4887
Location 2: B-MoRe
Interests: fish,sports,cars

Post by hotsauce4887 »

Ghost shrimp will not take care of plants and they are probaly not fast enough to get away from the rainbow shark before it devoures it.No they are no where as good as plecos,they do not eat algae unless you starve them.I'm pretty sure they were sold to you as feeder shrimp for carnivores and omnivores like cichlids,FW sharks and other preadtorial fish.
Planet Catfish Rules.Just keep hang'n.
Though they are small,large,stink, look good,they are all the same inside

G000oooOo!!1 CatFish!!
hotsauce48
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: by the computer
Location 2: B-More
Interests: Fish,guitar,sports

Post by hotsauce48 »

regular ghost shrimp can't " keep a plat clean "' but if you get the brzilian variety that look almost the same can clean a plant of algae.They can be bought at azgardens.com
Don't let karma get you, post replies, and replies to your questions you will recieve.

Return to “Tank Talk”