Bristlnose catfihs fry HELP. Losing lots, eating each other!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Dahrarkaz Angel
Location 2: Australia

Bristlnose catfihs fry HELP. Losing lots, eating each other!

Post by Dahrarkaz Angel »

I NEED HELP!!! My Brisltnose fry are EATING each other!!?

Ive lost 4 fry this week and 3 last week and now another two this morning. Water checks out. Tank is small 28 litres but fry are tiny. Im only growing them out so there 'sellable' as such not to make money. Suprise really =) Approx 40 fry. The only signs that i can see are it look like they've taken chunks out of each other. Like a shark would with us. Is it possible there munching on each other? They will be sold once they reach decent size (approx 1.5-2cm)

There is a few now that have little chunks missing like there mate has had a nibble. I NEED THIS TO STOP HELP!!!

I also have more on the way, hopefully this lot will be sold by then but thats if i can keep them alive.
Curby
Location 1: Bolton UK
Location 2: bolton uk
Interests: Thai-Boxing/Football/Fishkeeping

Re: Bristlnose catfihs fry HELP. Losing lots, eating each other!

Post by Curby »

Are you feeding Zucchini or Courgette???if its not disease related then they may be very hungry...
Come Visit my new site....@
http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/
Dahrarkaz Angel
Location 2: Australia

Post by Dahrarkaz Angel »

Yeah i feed them cucumber. Ive actully found ive lost some due to 'over feeding'. Since ive posted this i lost three last night. Im dreading getting up in the morns. :?
Theres got to be something im doing wrong. I keep coming back to the fact my tank is 28 litres.... but its all ive got spare for em. The filter is twice as strong as its suppose to be, but thats not bothering them one bit. I have 2 Angels ,corys, mum and dad ,some black neons and some rosy barbs (soon to go) in my large tank (150litres) they wont possibly be safe in there? Im bummed out for ideas... :!:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

A 28l tank is a bit small, but with frequent water changes and careful feeding (not too much, but not too little either) it should be doable to keep them in there. I agree that Angels and probably rosy barbs will eat the fry. Corys and black neons should be safe to fry.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”