Internal Error Message

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
dachewitt
Location 2: Galesville, MD

Internal Error Message

Post by dachewitt »

Hi,

I am frequently getting 'Internal server error' pages when I switch pages. This started 12/29/08 at about 6:20am after following a link to Aquarium Guys (I think that was the link). This is still happening but not as often. What needs to be done to correct my connection?

Thank you for your time and all the great information here.
Debbie in Maryland
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: Internal Error Message

Post by sidguppy »

not your connection; it went down for a few hours on this side of the pond as well

just a white screen with a bit of text about not being able to connect, some server error, numbers etc.

happens fairly often I might say. maybe it's time to clobber some sense in the people who are on the receiving end of Jools' hard earned cash, cause getting paid for the job should involve doing the job well and proper.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@planetcatfish.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
ran headlong into the maw of this baby just a minute ago, again.
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

sidguppy wrote:maybe it's time to clobber some sense in the people who are on the receiving end of Jools' hard earned cash, cause getting paid for the job should involve doing the job well and proper.
Not quite accurate I am afraid, it's a case of "you get what you pay for". If you want that message to never appear it would cost around £125/month. As it is, it costs £50/month for the site to be up 99.4% of the time across all vistors (yes, I monitor that). If I had 50 people who donated £1 a month, I could do something about it. For now, if the site (or indeed the internet) gets busy, you just have to come back later.

Sorry, but it's basic economics.

Jools
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

sidguppy wrote:not your connection; it went down for a few hours on this side of the pond as well
Technically, it's not down. It's just something close to, I've got 50 apples and 100 people wanting apples. So, 1 apple goes to the first person, the next three people don't get and apple 'cos I'm busy and then someone further down the line gets apple number 2 and so on. It gets a bit more complex as the render of each page involves a variable number of apples.....

Point is that you are correct in that it's nothing the visitor to the site has done and nothing that you can do about it except wait.

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”