Please help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sarawb
Location 2: South Carolina

Please help

Post by sarawb »

Please help!!! My plecos are dying. Their belly turns black. I have no idea what is causing this. I have attached pictures for you to see. I would appreciate any help....have no idea what to do for them.
Sara
Attachments
Sick Pleco
Sick Pleco
Sick Pleco
Sick Pleco
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Re: Please help

Post by Janne »

Bacteria infections in their intestines, clean the aquarium through vaccum cleaning the gravel and change 50-70% of water, no food until they get better. Metronidazol will help some of them but you have to fix what is caused their problem first, which is to small or not enough frequent water changes, not any effective filter etc.

Janne
sarawb
Location 2: South Carolina

Post by sarawb »

Thank you SO much for your help. We change the water. Have sponge filters. We will try the meds you told us about. Again, I really appreciate your help.
Sara
pLaurent1251
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Post by pLaurent1251 »

How much water do you change each time, and how often?
What are your water parameters?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It is my belief that some of this could also be caused by too much protein in the diet [or perhaps conversely - not enough fibre in the diet]. But water quality is certainly also an issue.

--
Mats
zanderville
Location 1: Ohio Usa

Post by zanderville »

Sara
What size tank, bare bottom or gravel,what foods are fed,what temp is tank kept at,how often are water changes and how much .How long has tank been set up and what other fish with them.Do you check water perameters?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”