Hello Planet Catfish! *pics*

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
waterfaller1
Location 1: Florida
Location 2: USA

Hello Planet Catfish! *pics*

Post by waterfaller1 »

Hi everyone. I decided I needed to learn more about my little Hara Jerdoni, than I had read in the articles I could find. I am from central Florida, and presently have 7 tanks. Two are Reef tanks, five are fw planted. I also keep 4 Corydoras habrosus, they are really sweet.

Here are a few pics
The cubes~ 4.3 gal

10 gallon

4 gallon~this tank is my latest project, so it's still going through the 'rough stage'

Sorry my pics are a bit crooked.. :)
Last edited by waterfaller1 on 17 Feb 2008, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
keep smiling~Carole =)
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Hello Planet Catfish! *pics*

Post by Birger »

That's some nice looking little nano's you have going there, have you ever considered putting a background behind them to make the filters disappear and to give them some depth visually, you could try black construction paper behind one, I do not think you would be disappointed

Birger
Birger
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Those Nano's do look great - well done! :)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Richard B wrote:Those Nano's do look great
Help! What's a nano??

And welcome to PC btw :)
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Marc van Arc wrote:
Richard B wrote:Those Nano's do look great
Help! What's a nano??And welcome to PC btw :)
Marc,
Nano = referring to a small tank; or a small tank turned into a small environment(I think).Please correct me if I'm wrong, but term is used frequently among folks who keep saltwater tanks. Nice to see it applied to freshwater. Quite a difficult balance.
waterfaller,
Those tanks are stunning. Nice plant and species selection. No over crowding of either. This must take a lot of thought, planning and work. Welcome to Planet Catfish! :D
Amanda
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Help! What's a nano??
It is a word that started to be used for mini-reef tanks and now you see it used for any small biotope setup I think generally tanks 15 gal. and under

nano-from the Greek nanos, meaning dwarf

and I am sure you have heard of nanotechnology but if not http://nint-innt.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/nano/index_e.html

Birger
Birger
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

Birger wrote:That's some nice looking little nano's you have going there, have you ever considered putting a background behind them to make the filters disappear and to give them some depth visually, you could try black construction paper behind one, I do not think you would be disappointed

Birger
Thanks Birger. I am trying to find something that will work for the 10 gallon as a background. I like the see through look of the finnex, and the cubes have most of the equipment disguised with plants. I put a black cardborad on the cubes once, it gave me a terrible back glare. Paint would have been best, but too late now. I will keep looking for something suitable. Maybe cardboard with the Krylon painted on it would work..hmm.
Richard B wrote:Those Nano's do look great - well done! :)
Marc van Arc wrote:
Help! What's a nano??

And welcome to PC btw :)
bronzefry wrote: waterfaller,
Those tanks are stunning. Nice plant and species selection. No over crowding of either. This must take a lot of thought, planning and work. Welcome to Planet Catfish! :D
Amanda
Thank you all for the nice compliments & welcomes.Yes, the term nano & also Pico{for the truly tiny ones} is used to describe small tanks. Amanda, I did learn finally thanks to keeping reeftanks, that less is more. Overcrowding leads to aggression, depression, and algae. 8)
keep smiling~Carole =)
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

Just to share..here are my two reeftanks.{the 7th tank is planted, but just a snail farm so the plants just grow wild there}

keep smiling~Carole =)
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

That makes things clear. I was looking for fishes, but couldn't find any.

Well, your nanos are looking very good.I have always been told that it is more difficult to keep a small tank balanced than a large one, so a big :thumbsup: for your work.
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

There is livestock..hehe. The left side cube has a halfmoon betta, the right side a dwarf puffer. The finnex has a Dario dario{scarlet badis}. The 10 gallon has 1 hara jerdoni, 2 blue form axelrod's rasboras,3 kuhli loaches, 4 corydoras habrosus, and 7 crystal red shrimp.
Thanks marc for the kind words. :)
keep smiling~Carole =)
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

they are beautiful! :thumbsup:
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

waterfaller1 wrote:There is livestock..hehe. The left side cube has a halfmoon betta, the right side a dwarf puffer. The finnex has a Dario dario{scarlet badis}. The 10 gallon has 1 hara jerdoni, 2 blue form axelrod's rasboras,3 kuhli loaches, 4 corydoras habrosus, and 7 crystal red shrimp.
Indeed there is. But I was looking for Nano(-stomus), pencil fish :wink:
DAWN
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: uk
Interests: cross-stitch and fish

Post by DAWN »

And there was me thinking they were fish! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ashamed002.gif
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

Thank you andywooloo. Hi Dawn, what are those two cool looking fish in your avatar? Just curious... :)
keep smiling~Carole =)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Dawns avatar shows two .

--
Mats
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hi there waterfaller! The pics are of my Zebra Plecs. Great looking tanks, they MUST keep you busy!
Last edited by DAWN on 19 Feb 2008, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Hey Matt, you beat me to it! :lol: Have you thought about having a few plecs, waterfall?
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

Thank you so much for the compliment Dawn. Yes, I am a work at home girl, and consequently have created a large family of friends. They do keep me busy. Heaven forbid if we ever want to go on a vacation.. :oops: We also have an Akita/lab mix, a Blue & Gold macaw, a leopard gecko, and a budgie that I found.
I haven't thought of getting a pleco, because I believe they all get quite large don't they? My biggest tank is the ten,not suitable for a pleco.Plus I keep crystal red shrimp, and do not want any fish that will think they are a tasty snack. I am however waiting to get two octocinclus cocama.{zebra oto} 8) Those zebra plecs are gorgeous!
keep smiling~Carole =)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

waterfaller1 wrote:Thank you so much for the compliment Dawn. Yes, I am a work at home girl, and consequently have created a large family of friends. They do keep me busy. Heaven forbid if we ever want to go on a vacation.. :oops: We also have an Akita/lab mix, a Blue & Gold macaw, a leopard gecko, and a budgie that I found.
I haven't thought of getting a pl*co, because I believe they all get quite large don't they? My biggest tank is the ten,not suitable for a pl*co.Plus I keep crystal red shrimp, and do not want any fish that will think they are a tasty snack. I am however waiting to get two octocinclus cocama.{zebra oto} 8) Those zebra plecs are gorgeous!
If we call all things in the Loricariidae family "pleco", then you have a pretty good range of "smallish" ones. Aside from the Hypoptominae(spelling?) that the Otocinclus and close relatives belong to, you have Hypancistrus, Ancsitrus, Panaque and Peckoltia that all have small species in the genus. Panaque has some giants too, but they are easy to tell apart, so shouldn't cause any confusion. Beating my own drum a bit, have a look at the http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search.php and you can search for fish that match your criteria. Just make sure you keep the temperature range "tight", as wide-ranging temperature can reduce the number of results quite noticably.

--
Mats
waterfaller1

Post by waterfaller1 »

I think with the octocinclus, and a couple more rasboras, my tank will be set on livestock. I have the three loaches, four corydoras, and a hara jerdoni. No room for another bottom feeder. But thanks for the info. If I were to ever get a larger tank I might consider some of those you listed.
keep smiling~Carole =)

Return to “Speak Easy”