CORY DISAPEARANCE TRICK

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Elric_Edward
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada

CORY DISAPEARANCE TRICK

Post by Elric_Edward »

Hi!

I have a tank in my office(5 Gallon) w/ 2 Albino Corys at the bottom and a small Goldfish on top with the water fluctuating between 23C & 24C.

One is very active and likes to be seen and the other is (or was) very shy since I got them. I have (or had) them for a week and on Friday the shy Cory magically disappeared. I thought it was because he is/ was shy and hid in the plants or driftwood (as he usually does) but on today (Monday) he is not on sight, he used to go out when I fed them but nothing so I'm wondering if he could buried himself in gravel or inside the plant. It is not soft sand like gravel but heavy stone like gravel so I don't believe this happened. I checked on the driftwood and the Small Castle I had for them and even in the filter :shock: !!!! Please help, as I don't want to move the gravel unless I'm sure I'm not harming him.

Thanks.

Raul
Condejesuit
Location 1: Toronto

Post by Condejesuit »

Did you find your missing cory? Hope he's OK.
Plecofanatic1989
My images: 4
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Post by Plecofanatic1989 »

Is it possible that he jumped out??? I've had it happen to me before (but not with cories). Good luck finding him.
bslindgren
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by bslindgren »

I've had them wedge themselves in behind something or in a narrow space, which is usually not a good thing :( . I'd check the driftwood and the castle.
tntraider
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Shanghai

Post by tntraider »

My guess is that the poor guy had probably jumped out of the tank, cuz the cory sometimes takes fun in dashing to the surface to take a gulp of the fresh air.
Elric_Edward

Tuesday and Still Missing

Post by Elric_Edward »

I checked under the Driftwood and Castle and nothing. It is unlikely that he has jumped because the lid will not allow him to go outside the tank.

Please help!!!! I don't want to move the Gravel unless I'm sure i'm not harming the Cory and time is of essence.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm afraid the most likely scenario is that the missing cory is no longer a cory - it probably died, at which point it becomes "goldfish food". Goldfish are notorious omnivores, and will take any oppurtunity to eat just about anything they can chew.

If you have fairly course gravel, I can guaranteed that a cory has not hid itself in the gravel. If it's nowhere to be seen, it's probably because the something ate it.

--
Mats
Elric_Edward

Post by Elric_Edward »

If that was the case, and he died and the body was eaten by the goldfish, I read that a carcass would be there with the armor of the Cory that the Goldfish can't eat.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty sure that the goldfish can consume a cory completely, given a few hours.

But feel free to sift through the gravel if you want to try to find any remains - there may be some, but I somehow doubt it.

--
Mats
Elric_Edward

Post by Elric_Edward »

I'll check in the gravel, I might have to buy another Cory :cry:
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I think you better wait a while. The Cory could be sick, or the cause of its is in your tank. In the latter case, your other Cory wil die soon.

Therefore, you better wait a few weeks (2 perhaps)
Elric_Edward

Rest in Peace Pearl I

Post by Elric_Edward »

Sadly I moved very carefully the plants and in the bottom of one of them there was Pearl. It probably tried to search for refugee inside the plant and the gravel fell. :cry:

Hopefully it is in peace.

Thank you everyone for your tips and support.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”