securing driftwood

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

securing driftwood

Post by catdoc »

How do you get the driftwood to sink? I've boiled for HOURS, weighted it in the tank for WEEKS, and still...it floats. I have some slate that I'd like to bolt to the driftwood but want to be sure I'm using the right materials. I was told that I need to avoid using galvanized steel bolts as they would poison the tank. What DO I need to use? Any pointers? I'm going to the hardware store this evening to get a mason's bit to drill the hole in the slate. Any other tricks I need to know before I tackle this one?

TIA!
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

Post by catdoc »

Nothing? Has anybody ever done this or is it just such a basic question that it's not worth answering? I understand (and have treated) animals with heavy metal toxicity so I REALLY want to be sure that I'm using the right materials (bolts, screws, etc) before I do this. Maybe I'll use a non-metallic alternative like plastic. Won't last as long but I'll feel safer re:toxicity.

I was having a lot of trouble finding any slate at the LFS. Lots of limestone and holey rock, but no slate or the pieces were too small. I did track down some slate tile used for flooring, natural slate with no additives. I was warned that it may flake/splinter as I drill but it was less than a dollar a tile, no big expenditure if it doesn't work.

Oh, well. I'll let you know how it turns out in case anyone else is wondering.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Did you try suction cups? I use them mainly to mount driftwood pieces to the back and sides of tanks, but they will work fine anywhere. Just buy a couple of big suction cups, attach them with screws, and "poof" you have what you want. Most commercial driftwood is attached to slate via metal screws and I have never seen them cause a problem. If you could find plastic screws they certainly could not hurt.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Tank Talk”