Sturisoma panamense

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
scat35
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Western Australia.

Sturisoma panamense

Post by scat35 »

Hi Guys :D

Am posting up a few pics of my Sturisoma panamense as Larry (apistomaster) has asked me to have look to check and confirm which Sturisoma i have exactly.

Here is my female that is breeding atm shes currently 10cm and has just laid 100+ eggs last wednesday !

Here is my male who i will try to get a better shot of soon as he`s guarding eggs atm.

Here is another female i purchased awhile ago, she is 20cm and gives me the impression she is old and hasnt bred so far.

I hope these pics are what your after Larry anyway let me know :D

Cheers :D
Craig
Albino bristlenose
Peppermint bristlenose
Corydoras sterbai
Corydoras polystictus
Sturisoma panamense
Synodontis multipunctatus
Synodontis polit
Anthicus Adonis
L 333
L 128
L 260
L 397
L 134
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Craig,
The top two pics are what the Germans call Sturisoma "Colombia." These fish are captured in the lower Magdalena near Santa Marta. They always arrive at the exporters in Bogota in cold (in the mid-60s F) water and the exporters there believe that they are a cold water fish and often place them with goldfish. I really can not comment if their perception that that these are cold water fish is correct, but I have seen 1,000s in unheated tanks with goldfish doing just fine. The belief always seemed strange to me as 1) Santa Marta is hot! and 2) So many hobbyists have kept and spawned them in tropical tanks.
S. panamense, per Evers and Seidel, has a regular, straight dark lateral line (like the fish in your third pic above) that does not touch the dorsal. S. "Colombia" has an irregular line that meets the base of the dorsal and continues up the fin.
This info matches with Oliver's pic in the Cate-log (image 23) of a Sturisoma captured in Panama. All the other pics of S. panamense in the Cate-log are S. sp. Colombia.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Shane,

Do you have the [1st] German edition of the Evers and Seidel book?

Because in the second [English] edition they now refer to S. sp. "Colombia" as S. aureum.

I agree that the second fish looks like another species, but it looks to me rather like S. nigrirostrum from Peru.

:D
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

They look like my Sturisoma aureum I was breeding.
My only female died yesterday for undetermined reasons.
It will be a long wait before any of my fry are mature enough to breed but I do have quite a few.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
scat35
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Western Australia.

Post by scat35 »

Thanks everyone for your replies :D

Shane i could certainly learn much off you with such detailed responces and feel a little more enlightend :D

Also thanks again Larry your help with my spawn has been invaluable :D

Cheers :D
Craig
Albino bristlenose
Peppermint bristlenose
Corydoras sterbai
Corydoras polystictus
Sturisoma panamense
Synodontis multipunctatus
Synodontis polit
Anthicus Adonis
L 333
L 128
L 260
L 397
L 134
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Racoll,
I'll have to look at the 2nd Ed and see what they say. The "problem" in the hobby is that there is one described sp of Sturisoma from the Magdalena and two commonly exported spp. These spp have been called by a number of valid scientific names (S. aureum and S. panamense being the two most common) in the hobby, but in this case the identifications are very difficult even with access to all the scientific literature out there and exact collecting locality info.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

There was a full revision of Sturisoma done in 2003, but is yet to be published.

Ghazzi, M.S. (2003) Relações filogenéticas e revisão do gênero Sturisoma Swainson, 1838 (Siluriformes: Loricariidae, Loricariinae). Unpublished Ph. D. Thesis, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil, 346 pp.

Return to “What is my catfish?”