P. costatus injury?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

P. costatus injury?

Post by ranmasan »

Hi All,

After doing my early evening feeding today, I noticed some whitish marks on the side of my P. costatus that hadn't been there the last time I saw him on Monday night. Could someone please tell me if this is normal or if it's an abrasion or something else that I need to monitor? I do know that my S. eupterus "shoos him away" during feeding, but there isn't any other animosity that I've observed at any other time. Temp=78F, pH=7.0, NH3=0ppm, NO2=0ppm, NO3=40ppm.

[IMG:314:267]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/ ... h_side.jpg[/img]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Imo it's a mechanical damage - or in plain language a scratch. It may have taken a bend too short :wink:.
This should disappear within a week or a little longer.
Keep an eye on it, however. If the spot turns red(-dish) let us know asap.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

P. costatus injury?

Post by ranmasan »

Thanks, Marc!

I've been keeping a close eye on the area whenever he pops out into view and so far, it seems to be just sort of fading ever so slightly. I also ran my hands along the edges of all the mopani, bogwood, artificial root/cave structure, rocks, filter, and heater and can only assume that he tried to squeeze in somewhere between the rocks where my bumblebee cat sleeps since everything else seems to have a good clearance away from the glass of the tank. I'll continue to watching it and if it changes or if he develops more similar, I'll let you all know immediately.

Thanks again! :D
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

still looks like a syno-inflicted wound to me. I've kept loads of syno's and they have a typical habit; scraping on the sides at night in territorial conflicts

it looks different when Dorads fight; these stab each other with the pectoral spines and you get punctures or horizontal scratches.
these 'sandpapered' wounds are characteristic of synodontis.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”