Pimelodus Pictus question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ranmasan
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 23 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
Location 2: Bay Area California, USA
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Post by ranmasan »

Hi All,

I just added 2 (Columbian variety, I think based on the Cat e-Log pics) Pictus cats (approx. 3" ea) to my community tank yesterday and am concerned that their behavior may be something other than acclimation adjustments? I have an established, well-planted 40gal tank with both sand and gravel sections, some bogwood, a couple of chalcedony and rose quartz chunks with the following parameters: Temp=78F, pH=7.0, NH3=0ppm, NO2=0ppm, NO3=40ppm (doesn't seem to vary even with weekly 12% H2O changes). In the tank, I have 1-S. eupterus @ 6", 1-P. costatus @ 4.5", 3-German Blue Rams @ 1.5" ea, and 1-Dwarf Neon Blue Gourami @ 2.5".

From my research prior to their acquisition, my parameters should have been okay... but they are frenetically swimming against the surface corners of the tank (almost looks like a panicked darting that I've been observing for the last 7hrs since I woke up). I know that they are very active swimmers and that there is an acclimation period (they wouldn't take the live bloodworms I dropped in the tank last night: will try again later today) since they are a wild caught species, but I just want to be sure that they'll be okay. There doesn't seem to be any ich or other physical issues and I've included a pic (whew, after a *lot* of "chase, focus and snap") and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much in advance :D
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hello,
I didn't re-read the whole thread, but it may be useful to you: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=18476
ranmasan
Interests: Fish, computers, anime, video games, books, books on tape, medicine and yoga to name a few

Post by ranmasan »

Thanks, Marc!

I'll give my new cats a few more days to get used to their new tank and I'll get a third (I think that a fourth would push me over my inch per gallon ratio) to avoid any dominance issues.

If there are any problems after a few days, I'll post a follow-up asking for more guidance :D .

It's so reassuring to newbies like me that real help is out there, just for the asking 8).
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Pimelodus Pictus question

Post by Bas Pels »

ranmasan wrote:inch per gallon ratio
As I'm use3d to the metric system, I stick to cm per liter.

Actually, this allows quite a lot more fish in the same tank (4/2.5 times as much, approx) :lol:
ranmasan

Re: Pimelodus Pictus question

Post by ranmasan »

BP, I just wanted to let you know that I switched to metric after reading your post and am *much* happier with the results! I've been able to house groups of cats in my much larger tank without paranoia or degradation of water quality ^_^. Thanks SO much for the wisdom-sharing!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”