feeding cooked fish filet

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mickey3
Location 1: Orlando, Florida

feeding cooked fish filet

Post by mickey3 »

Are there any problems with precooking fish filets, smelt etc prior to feeding them to a predatory catfish to avoid potential bacterial or parasitic contaminents.I have not found a specific comment on this.It doesnt appear that this is commonly done.
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

thats an interesting question Mickey3. At first you would assume that raw fish sold for human consumption bought fresh or fresh frozen, would be perfectly safe for catfish. Personally I would go with that and feed raw fish to predatory catfish. But I do recall one or two news items where people had contracted parasites from certain marine food-fish such as tuna. What effect would marine fish-parasites have on freshwater catfish? I dunno! :?
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

There should be no problem feeding un-cooked sea caught fish. There are enough differences in the make up of marine diseases etc, which doesn't allow for cross infection between marine and freshwater fishes.
Pre cooked fish can be fed, but the flesh loses a lot of goodness from it when cooked, so un-cooked fish is a healthier option.
I have also found that white fish such as white bait, cod, haddock etc, does not have as much of an effect on water quality deterioration as when feeding oily type fishes like mackerel. I always used to see a greater increase in ammonia levels when feeding oily fish; compared to when feeding white fish, to predatory catfish.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
mickey3
Location 1: Orlando, Florida

Post by mickey3 »

Medaka, Thank you for the reply. I was also concerned about bacterial growth caused by improper storage techniques from the time the seafood is caught and the time it is for sale.For example,fish that are used for sushi are handled differently than those that are going to be cooked because of bacterial concerns.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Just one point: You should avoid freshwater fish that is raw, as they can carry various baddies, particularly parasites. Freezing kills most if not all of the parasites, so that's a good way to reduce risk of parasites with a minimal loss of nutrition.

--
Mats
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

You can quickly cook the fish by steaming it in a plastic bag held over the kettle.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Acid John
Location 1: Potteries
Interests: spiny things

Post by Acid John »

Hello, I thought freezing did not kill viral diseases so thorough cooking is essential.
It's the things you don't see that poke you in the eye!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

No, I doubt that freezing will kill viral pathogenes. But parasites are killed this way, which is a good starting point.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”