Possibly corydoras cf_sanchesi ??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sdm
Location 1: USA

Possibly corydoras cf_sanchesi ??

Post by sdm »

Could the fish in these pictures be corydoras cf_sanchesi? I originally had 4 of these but over the last 6-8 years I've lost all but one. I'd like to get some more to put with it but I'm not sure what it is. I've spent a lot of time looking at pictures on the internet but I haven't seen anything that looks like my fish. I know the pictures aren't very good but these are the best I've been able to get. It's in 75g with plenty of places to hide. It's been suggested that I catch the fish and put it in a smaller container for the pictures. I'll do that when I get a chance. Thank you.

kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

They could be C-129...I bought Corydoras cf. sanchesi from a German wholesaler a couple of years ago. They showed to be C-129. From you picture this could be the case with your fish too, as C-129 are rather variable in the spotted pattern.

Can you take clearer pictures?
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

From what I can see it could be C. osteocaris a species not seen very often in the hobby.

Ian

Corydoras osteocaris
Picture Ian Fuller
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

Be nice if it is, nice fish :)

could you get more pics?
sdm

Post by sdm »

Coryman wrote:From what I can see it could be C. osteocaris a species not seen very often in the hobby.

Ian

Corydoras osteocaris
Picture Ian Fuller
Coryman,
That body shape looks right but the color isn't the same. My fish is more light brown/dark brown spots than silver/gray. How much color variation is there with these.

My fish is also quite a bit smaller than the other species I have, about 3/4 the size of others the same age.

I know I need better pictures. When I can I'm going to try to catch it and take them. Thanks for all of your replies.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Another possibility is C. albolineatus.

Ian

C. albolineatus
Picture Ian Fuller
sdm

Post by sdm »

Coryman,

I think you are right and my fish is Corydoras osteocarus. If you look on coriesrus.com the picture they have is very similar to my fish. It looks different than the picture here, but the more I look at I can see it is the same fish. I guess if you have a question about corydoras, you shouldn't doubt someone with the username "Coryman". By the way I think I just ordered a book that you co-authored from Barns & Noble.

I still plan on getting some better pictures to post here. Hopefully I'll get them soon.
JoseAngelBarro
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Valencia, Venezuela

Post by JoseAngelBarro »

Look this maybe help you

This is my C. osteocarus
sdm

Post by sdm »

JoseAngelBarro wrote:Look this maybe help you

This is my C. osteocarus
See, even though they are the same species I think the color of you fish is different than the fish that Coryman posted. My fish is colored more like yours. The differences within species makes it hard (for me) to make an ID. Especially since I can't get a decent picture up here for you guys to look at.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”