How often can bristlenoses breed?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
claire 1303
Location 1: Peterborough

How often can bristlenoses breed?

Post by claire 1303 »

I really need some advice. I've got one male bristlenose who has his choice of 3 females. I've had lots and lots of fry from them - in fact he only seems to take about a weeks break before spawning again! I'm worried this is wearing him out. Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour or if I should separate him for a while?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It's normal behaviour in the sense that the female will try to breed about every 4-5 weeks.

It's probably a good idea to separate the male from the females once in a while to let him eat a bit (although I have noticed that if you put food close to the males cave, he will sometimes come out for a quick bite).

My main problem is that I haven't got enough space for the babies if I let my male and female breed as often as they like, so I separate them for that reason...

--
Mats
claire 1303
Location 1: Peterborough

Post by claire 1303 »

Thanks for that. I've got to admit, I spoil him rotten - he's so tame that he has no problems putting my hand near his nest to drop him algae wafers etc!

At present I have a 4ft tank, and see lots of baby bristlenoses around! My LFS has said that once they get to 3cm or over they'll take them to sell. Their set up is fantastic so I don't have any hesitation in taking them there. I'm being very careful to make sure there's enough food in there for everyone, I'd swear they eat more veggies than I do!

I breed different colour apple snails in the same tank, and the bristlenoses are great at cleaning the shells for me before I sell them!

Thanks for your help

Claire
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I use trios when setting my BN for spawning and the females usually spawn within a week about the same as Matt's for every 4-5 weeks. Left alone they continue this about 3 or 4 times then they take a break of up to a month to 3 months. Like Matt, I allow just a couple batches then segregate the sexes to rest them up and to control the population. My trios will produce 100 to 140 fry per 2 female batches so it doesn't take long to have all the little BN's I can handle.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
nightowl1350
Location 1: Toronto, Ont

Post by nightowl1350 »

I use trios of BN as well, but one lucky male has 3 females with him. I have 4 types of bn. My females (in the same tank) often spawn within about 24 hours most of the time. Once they are all done I remove the male and eggs to a 10g tank to hatch out.

The breeders are in my angel, blue ram and apisto grow out tanks so I can't leave dad and eggs in there.

They do spawn about every 4-6 weeks depending on the type (the long fins seem to take about 8 weeks between spawns)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”