Hello

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
richchappy

Hello

Post by richchappy »

Hi im rich
I am totally mad about cat fish, i do keep a community tank but a lot of the fish are corys, I have 3 Trillis and 4 aneus 2 bronze and 2 albino. Also in there i have an L066 plec that i got a week ago. I managed to spawn and hatch some trilli fry and they were in a breeder net and when i moved them to the breeding tank very sadly they all died :cry: but i have found one surviver who is back in the breeding net and is happy and healthy. I am still kicking myself for that mistake as the water was quite dirty as there were a fair few live bearer fry in there aswell. I will never do it again... anyway, the good news is the trilli and one of the albino looks pregnant again, so hopefully it will go better next time.... thats me anyway

Bye
3 Corys Trillis and some fry
2 Albino Aneus
2 Bronze Aneus
1 L066 King tiger
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

HI Rich & Welcome to Planet Catfish

-----------------------------------------------
BTW can you put your location into your profile please :)
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Rich, welcome to Planet Catfish.

Part of the process of learning how to bring up fry is making mistakes - that's why it's recommended to start with "easy to spawn" fishes, so that when you make a mistake, you don't have to wait forever for them to spawn. Best of luck with the next spawn.

Whatch for the albino and normal colour C. aeneus spawning together, you may not get albino fry from them, but fry will carry albino gene, so crossing them again will have potential albinos [if there's albino on both lines of the family tree].

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Welcome to the site

Richard B
richchappy

Post by richchappy »

MatsP wrote:Rich, welcome to Planet Catfish.

Part of the process of learning how to bring up fry is making mistakes - that's why it's recommended to start with "easy to spawn" fishes, so that when you make a mistake, you don't have to wait forever for them to spawn. Best of luck with the next spawn.

Whatch for the albino and normal colour C. aeneus spawning together, you may not get albino fry from them, but fry will carry albino gene, so crossing them again will have potential albinos [if there's albino on both lines of the family tree].

--
Mats
what will come out then some albino and some normal
3 Corys Trillis and some fry
2 Albino Aneus
2 Bronze Aneus
1 L066 King tiger
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Albinism is so called "recessive trait", which means that you need the same gene on both sides of the parents to make it appear in the off-spring.

So, if you breed something that has one parent albino and one normal with another with the same genetic setup, you should get 25% albino and 75% normal ones. And 50% of the fry will have the albino gene but only on one side and 25% of them will not have the gene at all.

[Of course, your "normal" fish could already carry albino gene, there's no way to tell (except expesnive DNA analyzis, and that assume that someone has figured out which gene in a Corydoras that causes albinism)].

Did you see Medaka's request to fill in your location in the profile (top right on the page).

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”