sick pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
gofish
Location 1: Bolton, Ontario, Canada

sick pleco

Post by gofish »

sick Albino bn pleco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just noticed that my Long Fin Albino BN pleco is really bloated and he or she's head is white and it's fins looks bloody has this happen to anyone before I have included some pictures. (Sorry about the low quality)

Standard information
1. Tank size and how long it has been established 35 gallon 8 months
2. The fish (or multiple fish) in question as well as tankmates tank mates are breeding trio of reg fin albino bn plecos' 3other long fin albino bn pleco's and 9 sp 44 fri.
3. Water Parameters (temperature, Ph, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc.) 78deg 0,0,0
4. Any recent changes to the tank, including any new additions (plants as well as fish and other related aquaria), new foods, substrate, chemicals, medications, etc. no changes in over 2months

Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I would immediately move the fish to a hospital tank and treat with a broad spectrum gram positive and negative bacterial medication. I like Binox by Jungle myself. I am not sure that you will be able to save the fish, but I would try the above and then keep the animal on a pure veggie diet for a month or so afterwards.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
gofish

SICK PLECO

Post by gofish »

I moved him as soon as I discovered his illness and I never feed them much protein before. Their diet is spirolia and kelp flake, cucumbers, Sera walfers and peas.
Hopefully my LFS has the meds you are talking about.

I also have another pleco that I bought about 2 months ago in a group of 5 and I have 3 left 2 are growing great nice color and size but one has never really grown and is very pale. I thouht that he just wasn't getting much food as the others so I moved him to a planted tank I just set up with another pleco hat I got at the same time. They both seem to be eating well but he has not improved any idea on this one?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Water Parameters (temperature, Ph, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc.) 78deg 0,0,0
Hi.

A zero reading of nitrates is not normal if your filter is working correctly.

I have had a dud test kit give a zero reading.

CAtfishluvva
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Cape Town South Africa
Location 2: Helderberg

Post by CAtfishluvva »

I agree with shane, get that fishy in a tank and treat! I lost a whiptail yesterday that also was bloated and started bleeding through the skin and the base of the anal and dorsal fin before she died...

Here and Here are two threads I posted on PCF over the past few days regarding her.

Hope you get yours healed soon!
gofish

Post by gofish »

Just to update everyone she is still alive I treated her the other day with some Binox by Jungle.She is not eating much, she hasen't touched the zucchini but seems to have eaten the kale. She is not pooping very much short skinny pieces.Hopefully she gets better.
gofish

Post by gofish »

Just to let everyone know I believe she is cured. I used the Binox by Jungle and it seems to have done the trick. No more open soars and no more blood in the fins. She's beeen ok for about a week now how long till I put her in the main tank again?

Does anyone know whats wrong with my other pleco?
I also have another pl*co that I bought about 2 months ago in a group of 5 and I have 3 left 2 are growing great nice color and size but one has never really grown and is very pale. I thouht that he just wasn't getting much food as the others so I moved him to a planted tank I just set up with another pl*co that I got at the same time. They both seem to be eating well but he has not improved any idea on this one?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

A month in quarantine would help make sure the cure was successful. It is a common problem in the use of antibiotics to assume the disease is cured too soon. Upon early cessation of treatment the resistant disease organisms rebound and are much harder to treat.
You have not made it clear what kind your other plecos are. If they are more albino longfin bn it is not uncommon IME that many have starved too long before you buy them which not only weakens them but many are never able to overcome their previous mistreatment and remain permanently stunted. LF albino BN are not as sturdy as reg fin or normal colored BN either which makes them all the more susceptible to mistreatment.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
gofish

Post by gofish »

yes it's a long fin albino. I have had other die like this but this on is lasting a long time. I am just wondering if I should medicate it?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Deciding whether to medicate or not can be hard to decide. With a lot of experience one can usually tell if it is indicated or just a lost cause.
If you have the quarantine facility it would not hurt to try. I tend to toss an individual sick fish and treat when it has generalized to a valuable group. I mean this in the context of bacterial diseases where the success rate is low. If it is a skin parasite like ich or velvet I always treat the whole tank with malachite green preparations because these protozoans are easy to kill as they are external or at least the free swimming stages are.
Bacterial disease are usually at an advanced stage by the time I realize what's up and it is difficult to get therapeutic levels of drugs delivered internally as a general rule.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”