Mystery Disease

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Genieworx
Location 1: Fareham, United Kingdom
Interests: Catfish, Guitars and Video Games..

Mystery Disease

Post by Genieworx »

Hi all, Following a good amount of investigation I believe my fish are suffering from Gill Flukes. I purchased some Sterazin to start treatment, but noticed that I can't use it with some scaleless fish. I have a Synodontis Eupterus, so have concerns. In addition I have an armoured shrimp kicking around, which apparently is another no no. If anyone has any ideas i'd be grateful.

Cheers
Paul.

P.s Merry Christmas to all on the forum.
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

The best thing for skin flukes is Flubenol 15 (see siggy;))
Sterazin isnt strong enough. If its the egg laying skin flukes you will need to treat the whole tank weekly for a month to kill off any new ones that have hatched from eggs.
Although Flubenol 15 kills snails, it doesnt kill amano shrimp I have been told, so I would assume it wont kill an amoured shrimp, but wouldn't like to say for definate. Personally I would risk it and try it other wise you are going to have some very sick fish and its safe for any fish, just not snails...
Genieworx
Location 1: Fareham, United Kingdom
Interests: Catfish, Guitars and Video Games..

Post by Genieworx »

Cheers Paulf, I'll hopefully order some in due course as it sounds excellent. I have a 240l tank so I guess 10ml of so would be the weekly dosage. I think the flukes came in with some wild caught Laetacara cichlids.

Thanks again
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

Sounds like thats where it could be from.
I bought some galaxy rasboras last week and when I got them home I noticed one had a swollen tummy, pinched anal area and red worms in its anus - camallanus worms..... Thats the third time I have had problems with wild caughts, I will never get any again without worming them first :roll:

Return to “Speak Easy”