Panaque sp. cf. nigrolineatus`xingu and plants

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
costatus7
Location 1: Penzance, cornwall, u.k
Interests: Inventing, Surfing and keeping catfish

Panaque sp. cf. nigrolineatus`xingu and plants

Post by costatus7 »

Hello catfish keepers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Has anyone had any experiance with Panaque sp. cf. nigrolineatus`xingu and plants, i have a 5ft tank that has lots of wood 9 anubias and clumps java fern in. i know i have read that panaques are plant molesters, but is there a limit to this in regards to certain plants. Thanks for any help

ben :D
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

My panaque, although not the xingu one never touches plants.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

A well fed Panaque wont damage any plant.By well fed i mean one that has everyday availiable some kind of vegetable or fruit to eat when he feels like it.That way he wont damage any plant because he will have an alternative to eat when he is hungry.But if for any reason he doesnt have this available,he may damage plants.It is not certain that he will damage them but he may do it.
As for limitations about the plants he may damage,yes there are.Panaque will not damage plants with very fine leaves for him to graze on.Also he must be very hungry to damage Anubias and even more hungry to eat Java fern.But even if he eats them,he will only damage one or two leaves.
costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

cheers thats some great advice,i already add veg for my severums so that will work fine. i have a goldie plec in the tank to its about 10cm at the mo the panaque i am thinking of aqquiring is around 15 would this pose a prob. Also my filtartion is a 1500ltr pump on a juwel jumbo internal box filter, an eiheim pro 2 600ltr a tetra tec 700 700ltr, i know litte about the large panaque in regards to wood gettting into the filter but can it damage filters in this way, i do a weekly 25 gallon change would this be enough.

ben :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The wood getting into the filter shouldn't pose a problem to the actual pump unit - not if your filter is working as it should at least, becasue you should have plent of filter media to stop the wood from getting to the impeller. In your Eheim (assuming yours is a 2128 like mine) for example, you have the first layer of "stone macaroni" and then a sponge, then two layers of biomedia (little "stone peas") and another sponge type layer. If the wood gets through that, it's very small pieces and then the filter should have no problem with it.

It will of course clog up the filter more quickly than if you didn't have "sawdust" in the water, but that's the only real problem.

--
Mats
costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

Thats great, im keeping plecs from the xingu and my temp is 28 is that fine for the panaque.

ben
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

That's a darn good question [seeing as I just asked the same thing in the Cat-eLog forum] - I'd expect so, since it's from Xingu... ;-)

--
Mats
costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

cool thanks for that mats :D

ben

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”