breeding small catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
huk chun chu
Location 1: Ont. Canada

breeding small catfish

Post by huk chun chu »

I have 2 10 gal. tanks that are empty.The aquarium club I belong to has a breeders award program that I am involved with.What I would like to do is set up these 2 tanks to breed some of the smaller cats.Does anyone have any suggestions as to species & setups that would work in these tanks?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I have been successful using ten gallon tanks for spawning pairs of common bushy nose and several Corydoras species. The Panda Cory is a good choice because of it's small size, good looks, and the available fish are tank raised.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
huk chun chu

Post by huk chun chu »

I should of mentioned it ,I am working on the advanced level in the breeders award program.In order to get there I must breed some other fish than either cory's or ancistrus.Sorry for not mentioning this.I was thinking of something along the line of:aspidoas paucirdiatus,brochis splendens,otocinclus species?,peckoltia vittata etc. Would any of these fish be viable ? If not what else might be a good choice?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Oto's aren't impossible to breed - there are some examples posted in threads here - but they are definitely way above the Ancistrus for example.

Brochis are also (apparently) not that easy to get breeding, there is a discussion just a few weeks back on that subject in the Callichtyidae forum, which has links to the Shane's World and Scotcat pages that report breding of them.

Don't know anything about Aspidoras breeding, so can't say on that one.

Peckoltia's I would class as teh easiest of the ones you mention. They are one step harder than the Ancistrus/Cory's that are considered amongst the easiest ones...

--
Mats
huk chun chu

Post by huk chun chu »

I think if the peckoltia is the next step up from ancistus they would be a good one for me to try.Are they readilly availeable? Also what kind of setup do they require? Would the 10gal. work & should it be a bare tank or decorated in some way?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

There are several Peckoltia breeding articles in "Shane's world". Read them...

--
Mats
huk chun chu

Post by huk chun chu »

Thanks Mats. I keep forgeting about all the great articles in Shanes World. That is were I am going next.

Huk

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”