Texarkana Monster Catfish................................

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
100lbstriper

Texarkana Monster Catfish................................

Post by 100lbstriper »

Texarkana Monster, Could someone help me identify this catfish ? I'm having a problem believing this is one of the 3 big cats in North America. I can't see it being a blue, channel, or flathead. Yet the guy posting this said it was caught in Texarkana and weighed over 200lbs. He also said the fish was let go.

To me it looks like one of European catfish I've seen pics of but do not know there names. Any help with this would greatly appreciated.

Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

This looks a lot like
100lbstriper

Silurus glanis

Post by 100lbstriper »

Thank you for the quick reply and................

So I am to believe from your reply that this picture I presented here is not native to America ? In other words, has the Silurus glanis ever been caught in North American waters ?
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Silurus glanis

Post by Marc van Arc »

100lbstriper wrote:So I am to believe from your reply that this picture I presented here is not native to America ? In other words, has the Silurus glanis ever been caught in North American waters ?
If it is Silurus glanis (and I believe it is), it's indeed not native to the US.
I couldn't possibly tell if it has ever been caught before in North America. I'm not much into angling.
Perhaps it has been imported, grew too large and was ditched in a river? Who knows?
Several Ameiurus species travelled exactly the opposite way and are by now native in the Netherlands....
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

What another black eye for the hobby. These kind of unauthorized releases are going to result in evermore stringent regulations for the OTF industry and hobby in the USA.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

Dont get to upset Larry - Im pretty sure I have seen this exact photo before and it's not from the USA. It was caught in Europe somewhere.

Cheers
Steve
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Thanks Steve. They are catching Pterois volitans from Florida to New York so just about anything is becoming possible.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “What is my catfish?”