Tankmates Albino bristlenose Pleco's and Clown Loaches

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
gofish
Location 1: Bolton, Ontario, Canada

Tankmates Albino bristlenose Pleco's and Clown Loaches

Post by gofish »

Does anyone know if it would be ok to keep only Albino BN Pleco's and Clown Loaches in a 50 gallon long tank?
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

That should be no problem.
Zebrapl3co
Location 1: Toronto, ON

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Yup, but understand that eventually, your clown loach will out grow your tank and you'll need to get a bigger one. Don't expect your pleco to breed, as the eggs and wriggler will be eaten by the loaches.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

Loaches grow at a very slow rate, so you could keep them in a 50 gallon tank for a long time. If the plecos are guarding eggs, then the loaches will not try to steal them to eat them. I'm not sure how big the wrigglers are, but if small enough, most fish will usually try to eat them, due to their hunting instincts. This is why you can stimulate a fishes appetite with live foods.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Bristlenose babies are around 8-10mm SL when they are relaeased by the male, and I definitely think that a large clown loach will eat them. I haven't kept clown loaches, so I can't say for sure what size they will start eatching them, but if small clown loaches can eat snails, they wouldn't have a problem with bristlenose babies... :-(

Of course, this is only a problem if you're actually wanting to keep a pair (or trio) of bristlenoses and actively breed them, and you can (if you're watchfull) "steal" the fry from the male bristlenose before they are released [use a piece of hose to siphon the fry out of the tank into a bucket/jug, and "pour" them into a breeder net or fry-tank (with mature filter and water from the main tank to avoid changes in water chemistry)].

--
Mats
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

8-10 cm is definetely too big to show of interest. I even tried to introduce them to worms, about 8cm long but only about 1-2cm wide and those guys were scared. LOL Even the biggest of my loaches, which was about 7.5 cm didn't show any interest.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”