Hi every one!! Is bn my best option???

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
NoLeftTurn
Location 1: Rainy Ireland

Hi every one!! Is bn my best option???

Post by NoLeftTurn »

Hi all,

New to the site,this is my first post :oops:

I am moving house and will not have room for my current 50gal tank! :cry: I will be buying a 32gal tank in the next few weeks and I'm starting over in terms of the fish I'm going to keep.

I have always been a lover of catfish and keep 2 small Pimelodus (dont have the room for anything else) I need a pleco for my new 32g tank but I would like this fish to fit this bill,if possible.

Small (ie 5-6 inches) relatively common,good algae(spl?) eater (green and brown) not to shy and good looking. Oh! and cheap.

Now,I know most of you will say "Go get a bn" I have thought of that,and its most likely what I'll end up getting. I just wanted to see what all my options are.

Edit.
This pleco will be kept with 6-8 Tiger barbs.

Thanks.
Steve.
Despair I can handle,its the hope that kills me.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Do you know what your water parameters will be at your new house? That can actually help broaden your horizons a bit, depending on the results.

Could you please edit your profile and add a location? Even if it's just the country of origin it helps our multinational forum give information that's as accurate as possible. It's also one of our rules ;).

Thanks!

Barbie
NoLeftTurn
Location 1: Rainy Ireland

Post by NoLeftTurn »

Oh sorry I forgot that bit,it's done now.

To answer your question,no I dont know what the water is like at my new house.
Despair I can handle,its the hope that kills me.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Steve,

You don't specify where in rainy Ireland you'll live - I think most of the southern parts are pretty chalky and thus hard water areas, so if you're not going to spend lots of money on water softening [and no, the cheap water softeners are no good, because they are designed for keeping kettles and washing machines scale-free, and they just CHANGE the mineral content in the water from something that forms scale to something that doesn't (usually sodium chloride) - and if anything, that's worse for the fish... To remove hardness and not replace it with something else, you need a Reverse Osmosis (RO) or Deionization system.]

So assuming you DON'T have soft water [and don't want to spend â?¬70-100 on water softening equipment], the answer would be that you could have any "brown" bristlenose, but none of the "black" ones - black bristlenoses are strictly soft acidic water.

It's pretty hard to find other alternatives with the limitation in size and must be good algae eater - there's plenty of interesting small pleco's, but many of them are not even touching algae, some of them will eat algae to some extent...

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”